Frame mat inner core coloring question...

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby tenaciousjack on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 am

I'm looking to custom frame a piece, and unfortunately all the options for my preferred matting have white inner cores. I want to avoid a visible white core being seen (would stand out too much). How does one go about coloring or fixing the inner core to customize it to the color of the actual mat?

For instance, I'm looking at a purple suede mat but would like the visible core to maintain the same look and color as the outter mat. Any input would be very helpful!
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Postby hayward96 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am

You could reverse the bevel so the white is not seen.
hayward96
Art Connoisseur

Postby jjttdw on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 am

Just use a sharpie to color the white mat bevel.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby xangelx on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 am

jjttdw wrote:Just use a sharpie to color the white mat bevel.

That's what I was gonna say.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby IWish on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:32 pm

First, color/paint the mat in the area where the inside will be cut...then have it cut professionally then frame using the reverse beveled method.

or...

First, do a test with marker to make sure the ink will not bleed on the mat. It's a good idea to use a mask along the edges to prevent screw-ups.

This product can be used, but...again, test it on your mat before starting your project.
https://www.jerrysartarama.com/incredible-white-mask
IWish
Art Expert

Postby jjttdw on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

IWish wrote:First, color/paint the mat in the area where the inside will be cut...then have it cut professionally then frame using the reverse beveled method.

or...

First, do a test with marker to make sure the ink will not bleed on the mat. It's a good idea to use a mask along the edges to prevent screw-ups.

This product can be used, but...again, test it on your mat before starting your project.
https://www.jerrysartarama.com/incredible-white-mask

"Grafix Incredible White Mask Liquid Frisket" sounds like some kind of spoof on a racist BBQ
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby IWish on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Heh. Never crossed my mind.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby JBFrame on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm

FYI - Sharpie is not permanent and with time will fade out, not completely, but definitely get noticeably lighter. I suggest that you go to an art store and pick up a color fast non fading art pen like Copic or a brand like Copic. It will say on the label "color fast". If you can't get to an art store Amazon or eBay has them. There is a wide range of colors and most brands have a wedge end and a pointed end.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby tourist504 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Just reverse bevel, bro. Literally one step.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby KSUvet on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 pm

I use reverse bevel a lot but they also make mats with color cores.
KSUvet
Art Expert

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi

Postby JBFrame on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I had a PM question about the Copic marker. I'm sorry to say my statement about the Copic is unintentionally misleading. Copic is a dye ink and will over a long period fade but in my opinion is much slower to fade than Sharpie. I use Copic to color the edges of my shadow box mats and molding mitres. Neither of these see a lot of sunlight.

For a colorfast or lightfast (same meaning) marker I would use a PIGMENTED inked Marker like "Winsor & Newton Pigment Marker". There are several other brands out there like Zig or Caliart that has markers that are light fast but my favorite is Winsor & Newton. Winsor & Newton actually advertise that their Pigment Marker will not fade for 100 years.

I too use a lot of reverse bevels but I must say that for a great accent, a colored bevel can be unbeatable.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby ONEYE on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Reverse bevel, no fuss, no muss. Easy peasy. Don't turn it into a PITA drymounting type project.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Postby JBFrame on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:12 pm

ONEYE wrote:Reverse bevel, no fuss, no muss. Easy peasy. Don't turn it into a PITA drymounting type project.

That's totally a matter of taste - the colored bevel can be a lot more appealing than a reversed bevel on some prints but the colored bevel can also look terrible on some prints. Again, it's a matter of taste and to paint a bevel is not difficult at all.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Postby bootstrut on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I attempted painting a bevel myself and it was a pain in the ass. Did test runs by taping off the mat to paint only the bevel, but I either had paint bleeding onto the mat surface, an uneven coat of paint throughout, or the tape would tear the mat surface (FYI, I used the most delicate masking tape I could find). Haven't tried the paint marker approach yet. but the corners would be tricky.

Reverse bevel is easiest.
bootstrut
Art Expert

Return to Framing Corner