International Shipping

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 am

I've only ever had one item ever go missing on route to Australia. It was a cheap print so I just wore the cost of it instead of getting a refund.

I'd also strongly suggest that if you're sending oversea's to use PVC pipe. Had my first case of a tube arriving in America damaged. Used a Yazoo tube as well. Will only ship using PVC pipe from now on. Don't care about the extra cost, just want the print to arrive in tip top condition.

The other thing as well is that I can understand people wanting to avoid further fees when shipping something internationally, but, as a seller you're the one who's out of pocket if the print goes missing/damaged along the way. So if you're shipping a $900 print and they want it marked $75, then you're screwing yourself over really. Just look out for whatever tariff codes there are related to the country you're shipping to if that helps.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
DannySnypes
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:24 am

Lots of good stuff here.

I also have a question.

I am in Canada and looking to ship to the US. likely a print in excess of 1000$.

I was thinking that I would head over into Niagara falls and ship it from inside the US. only a 40 min drive for me.
The thinking is to avoid any of the customs hold ups etc going from Canada to the US.
Can anyone advise of what I would expect to pay to ship a print that I declare as 1000$ within the US.
I am trying on the various courier sites but get vastly different prices.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
aldo
Art Expert

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:07 pm

USPS - probably around $35ish priority with insurance. You may want to spring for Priority Express which is around $10/15 more, and definitely do signature.

The USPS site will give you the costs if you know the zip you are shipping from.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm

DonPiano wrote:I've only ever had one item ever go missing on route to Australia. It was a cheap print so I just wore the cost of it instead of getting a refund.

I'd also strongly suggest that if you're sending oversea's to use PVC pipe. Had my first case of a tube arriving in America damaged. Used a Yazoo tube as well. Will only ship using PVC pipe from now on. Don't care about the extra cost, just want the print to arrive in tip top condition.

The other thing as well is that I can understand people wanting to avoid further fees when shipping something internationally, but, as a seller you're the one who's out of pocket if the print goes missing/damaged along the way. So if you're shipping a $900 print and they want it marked $75, then you're screwing yourself over really. Just look out for whatever tariff codes there are related to the country you're shipping to if that helps.
I have received a few things in PVC, but ive never had any issue with a Yazoo.
Someone posted a picture somewhere here of a PVC tube that had splintered almost. Like a shard of it broke from the tube. So id also be a little cautious of PVC.

And in regards to insurance - because us Aussies pay a 10% tax on anything over $1000, I ask all of my sellers to declare it for $900 for items with a value over 1k. It's a tiny bit of a risk, but that 10% is bullshit.
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

United States does not care about customs declaration. The best price is still good old canada post.

quote="DannySnypes"]Lots of good stuff here.

I also have a question.

I am in Canada and looking to ship to the US. likely a print in excess of 1000$.

I was thinking that I would head over into Niagara falls and ship it from inside the US. only a 40 min drive for me.
The thinking is to avoid any of the customs hold ups etc going from Canada to the US.
Can anyone advise of what I would expect to pay to ship a print that I declare as 1000$ within the US.
I am trying on the various courier sites but get vastly different prices.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks,[/quote]
I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.