Flat file refurbishing project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
evilpresence
Art Expert

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:21 pm

summoner wrote: That is drymounting Billy!!
Summoner must have been reading my mind. Damn good job.
Last edited by evilpresence on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Very nice indeed.
That's what she said
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

summoner wrote:That is drymounting Billy!!

And just to note, you are using the same handles that I have in my kitchen. :lol: Quality choice!
Thanks sir.

That's funny. I think these are also the same handles that mattg chose for his as well.
Danny4342 wrote:Classy job Billy....and sticking it to us with a Kill Bill now...too much dude!!
Thanks.

Yeah, the KB was a bit of a show off. Sorry. I've just heard quite a few people talking about them lately and decided that would be a good one to use to show off the glass top.
summoner wrote:What are in inside drawer dimensions on that again Billy?
32x42 (maybe 42.5)
Jesusmalverde wrote:Bang up job, looks unbelievable! Just one question, is putting it under the window, in the sunlight, possibly a dangerous location for the flat file?
Thanks. I'm not sure if it's the smartest spot. Probably not. But space is pretty limited in my apartment. Given the size of my living room, it's a big too large to be used as a coffee table. I always have those blinds closed, though.
evilpresence wrote:Summoner must have been reading my mine. Damn good job.
Thanks!
finneganm wrote:Very nice indeed.
Thank you, finnegram!
summoner
Art Freak

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm

As long as you have the blinds closed, and closed UP like you have them it should be ok. You could always put a clear UV film on the underside of the glass which should be invisible if done right.
Image Image Image
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

yeah really nice job.a buddy i know,knows how to do this type of work from scratch,so me and him are
gonna start one,maybe i'll start posting pics when we get startd.but great job.you killed it
time
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

iambillyg wrote:Finally done, I guess.

I reached out to my dad to grab me another flat file from Dallas this week and he made a comment about wanting me to have this one out of the garage before starting on another. So, yesterday I moved my metal one into my closet and, today, I moved this one into my apartment in it's place. I still needed hardware for it, though.

I picked up three different handles today, but with the original drill holes measuring 2.75, it made the choices quite slim. I had it in my mind from the start that I would be using shell/cup handles, but none matched up properly. Even still, I picked up two just to see how they looked.

Toying with the idea of picking up another just like this and doing the exact same thing. Would anyone be interested in purchasing it if I did?

Thank you to everyone for posting in this thread. Your kind words about Matt and my files really helped us out a lot. It was a lot of fun checking back on this thread and seeing people's reactions. Really appreciate you guys checking them out. And, MAJOR thanks to Rockbridge for the custom wood work.

And, as mentioned above, I'll be receiving another metal file next weekend. The idea I have in mind for that one should turn out pretty cool.
Seriously impressive Billy! If only you were in LA working on another one of these.... (ISO someone local who can do this - and I don't even need the fancy glass top)
JohnnyThunder
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:01 pm

These are absolutely fantastic pieces. You guys did an amazing job with them, really love the glass tops. :clap: :clap: :clap:
chan011
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 pm

what are the dimensions of the glass that you are using for the top?

i have an extra piece of 24x36 that i would like to find a use for if possible
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Great job. I am neither handy nor motivated enough to pull off something like that.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
JasonTheMason
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Glorious. Boing.