Picturesque 24x36 Portfolio Sale - $89.99 + $8.95 sh

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jc23
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Do i have to wait till my prints are completely flat to store them in this? I dont want them to develop waves or something of the sort.
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory" -Bruce Lee
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm

jc23 wrote:Do i have to wait till my prints are completely flat to store them in this? I dont want them to develop waves or something of the sort.
The flatter they are, the easier they will be to get into the pages.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am

jc23 wrote:At what point should i be worried about my prints being in tubes? I want to wait till this goes on sale again but have a number of prints that have been in tubing for around 6 months.

Right now the deal is free shipping so i would be saving around $60 if i waited till it goes back down to 99.
you should definately start considering taking them out
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 am

The storing of prints in tubes seems to be on a rise these days.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

I've been flattening a poster that sat in a tube from 2009 til 2011 for about a year and half now. It's just recently gotten to a point where the edges don't curl.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

I also have a picturesque portfolio and I absolutely LOVE it. I paid about $220 shipping included with 3 refill pages (2x 18x24 and 1x 24x36 refill)

They are a great way to store prints.

However, I did notice after a while that the rubber band located on the back inside cover was creating a little wave lengthwise in my pages and prints. I have since cut the band out and it is no longer an issue.

Not sure if this portfolio is meant to be laid flat or standing on end. My is laying flat under the bed. If this is a no-no please advise. Thanks! Good luck with the sale if it hasn't sold yet.

:pint:
pkoddity
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 pm

I hope this deal comes around again!!
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Deadareus wrote:
However, I did notice after a while that the rubber band located on the back inside cover was creating a little wave lengthwise in my pages and prints. I have since cut the band out and it is no longer an issue.
:
Gunna go cut mine out now. Thanks for the heads up! :pint:
fDOTbear
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 pm

mine should be arriving soon. Paid 170 w/ free shipping. don't have much of a poster collection but it seemed like a smart investment from the get go.
Nardalus
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:38 am

Cragars wrote:
Deadareus wrote:
:
Gunna go cut mine out now. Thanks for the heads up! :pint:

I was wondering about that. Thanks for posting.
time
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Deadareus wrote:I also have a picturesque portfolio and I absolutely LOVE it. I paid about $220 shipping included with 3 refill pages (2x 18x24 and 1x 24x36 refill)

They are a great way to store prints.

Not sure if this portfolio is meant to be laid flat or standing on end. My is laying flat under the bed. If this is a no-no please advise. Thanks! Good luck with the sale if it hasn't sold yet.

:pint:
I asked this same thing about standing it on end after mine arrived. I have a smaller portfolio that has more stiff outer covers and metal on each corner so it sits on end with no problems. When I stand this on its end it bends a bit (haven't put anything in it yet, just the 15 pages I bought). That is causing concern. I don't have someplace I feel comfortable laying this flat (otherwise I would have gone with a flat file) since it gets dusty under the bed (where I have a fiberous rug) and someone suggested pounding a nail or something into a wall stud and hanging it from that (but I don't have space to do that and definitely don't want to have this hanging like art on a wall in my home.
honuswave2

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Saw this old thread and wanted to chime. My understanding is these Are polypro sleeves and no matter what a website says polypro sleeves can never be true archival safe.

Here is a blurb from an interesting article: " For years collectors have stored their movie posters, comic books, baseball cards and other collectibles in polyethylene bags, PVC sheets and plastic wraps. Although such products may be useful in keeping away dirt, grease and vermin, many plastic sleeves contain plasticizers and other additives which can migrate into paper and cause premature aging. Both polyethylene and polypropylene contain solvents and additives in their manufacture to assure clarity and increase the flexibility in the plastic. Polyethylene when uncoated without any solvents is a good moisture barrier but has a high gas transmission rate, and eventually shrinks and loses its shape under warmer conditions.

In recent years polypropylene bags have been sold under the guise of being archivally sound. This is far from the truth. Only uncoated and untreated material is suitable for archival protection. Currently, the only way to seal polypropylene is to add a substance called PVDC (Polyvinyl Dichloride which is a relative of PVC) to allow the material to be heat sealed. Therefore, once you add the harmful additive, the sleeve now becomes non archival and should not be used for long term storage." Any thoughts on this? Any binders that use mylar d sleeves or milenex?