Picturesque 24x36 Portfolio Sale - $89.99 + $8.95 sh

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 pm

If anyone in the Atlanta area is in need of a Picturesque 24 x 36 portfolio, I will have one available loaded with blank pages in the next few weeks once I finish my flat file project. I'd let it go for $100 or would even consider trades.
acidfree
Art Expert

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 pm

This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance.

Aren't mylar sleeves much better for storing prints over polypropylene?
Can you get mylar sleeves for this type of binder style portfolio?
jc23
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:20 am

At what point should i be worried about my prints being in tubes? I want to wait till this goes on sale again but have a number of prints that have been in tubing for around 6 months.

Right now the deal is free shipping so i would be saving around $60 if i waited till it goes back down to 99.
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory" -Bruce Lee
time
Art Expert

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 am

New member here with a question. Based on the praise by everyone here for these Picturesque portfolios I bought one and an extra 15 pages. It arrived today and I was surprised to find that unlike my smaller portfolio by Daler-Rowney (18 x 24 I think) I bought years back locally (which I can't find now online), the sides are soft and there are no reinforced corners so when it is leaned standing up it bends. Eventually I expect the corners will wear down from rubbing/sitting on the floor. Is that not an issue for anyone? My other smaller portfolio has more stiff sides and metal reinforcements so it stands with no bending. Won't this portfolio bend/crease the artwork? Thanks for any input.
Last edited by time on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 am

I think most people store them flat, under a bed or something.
philipanderson
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:40 am

Sadly, the $406.93 UPS Worldwide Saver (oh, the irony!) shipping rather rules thhis one out for me in the UK.

I suspect it would genuinely be cheaper for me to fly over in person, pick one up and then fly back with it.

What is very surprising for me is that I've contacted quite a few art dealers in the UK, and suggested that there is quite a pool of people in the UK that would buy these if they could stock them and they have all been universally disinterested.

Recession? What recession? Clearly you can just dismiss hundreds/thousands of turnover in one telephone call.

Who wants to come into business with me selling them in the UK? :wink:
time
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:06 am

jjbehren wrote:I think most people store them flat, under a bed or something.
Thanks (and love that avatar by the way). Anyone else care to say how they store their Picturesque portfolio case please? I bought it on the assumption I would stand it up. If I had the room to put it flat then I probably would have just bought a box and used mylar sleeves.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 am

time wrote:I bought it on the assumption I would stand it up.
Oof.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:14 am

time wrote: I bought it on the assumption I would stand it up. If I had the room to put it flat then I probably would have just bought a box and used mylar sleeves.
If you need to store it upright, you can just drive a hook into a stud and hang it on the wall by its handle somewhere out of the way, like the wall behind a door or in a closet.
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
time wrote: I bought it on the assumption I would stand it up. If I had the room to put it flat then I probably would have just bought a box and used mylar sleeves.
If you need to store it upright, you can just drive a hook into a stud and hang it on the wall by its handle somewhere out of the way, like the wall behind a door or in a closet.
Exactly what I was thinking.

For the tubed question, 6 months is long enough. If you've got enough art to have to buy a portfolio then you've spent a ton already. Is saving a relative little really worth it if some of your prints could potentially come out wavy or never be fully flat?
time
Art Expert

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 am

Wow. Not the responses I expected. So everyone is either lying their portfolio flat somewhere or have a large enough place (with stud) to hang it on a wall or in a closet. Oof is right. Definitely not what I was planning. Has anyone been storing theirs upright and not hanging from a wall or a big empty closet? And if so, any issues with bending/creasing? Thanks!
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 am

time wrote:Wow. Not the responses I expected. So everyone is either lying their portfolio flat somewhere or have a large enough place (with stud) to hang it on a wall or in a closet. Oof is right. Definitely not what I was planning. Has anyone been storing theirs upright and not hanging from a wall or a big empty closet? And if so, any issues with bending/creasing? Thanks!
One guy had his sitting upright, but at a bit of a slant, in one of those wooden racks, seemed to do just fine. I suppose you could reinforce the front and back by shoving in some flat metal rods under the leather but above the plastic inner part. fudge, put it behind your dresser or something that's a couple inches off the wall.
sabometrics
Art Enthusiast

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 am

Hey guys - not quite as good as the deal in the original title but I just purchased one of these for a pretty good deal and figured people may want in.

Jerry's currently has it on Super Sale (ends tomorrow!) for $119.99. The shipping would be like $12 to my place. However you can get free shipping if you go over $160. So add in a pack of refills ($45) and you can get both combined for $165 shipped.

Even better there's a coupon you can use! If you use coupon code MISSYOU25 in, you can get 25% off. Unfortunately this only applies to the refills but it's still an extra $11 off. And the shipping stays free even though your total is now under $160. So all in all you can get the portfolio and an extra 5 sheets for it for $153.73 shipped! Pretty darn good, I think.

Note: if that coupon doesn't work you can also use creative10 which will get you $10 off.

Enjoy!
jc23
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:22 am

sabometrics wrote:Hey guys - not quite as good as the deal in the original title but I just purchased one of these for a pretty good deal and figured people may want in.

Jerry's currently has it on Super Sale (ends tomorrow!) for $119.99. The shipping would be like $12 to my place. However you can get free shipping if you go over $160. So add in a pack of refills ($45) and you can get both combined for $165 shipped.

Even better there's a coupon you can use! If you use coupon code MISSYOU25 in, you can get 25% off. Unfortunately this only applies to the refills but it's still an extra $11 off. And the shipping stays free even though your total is now under $160. So all in all you can get the portfolio and an extra 5 sheets for it for $153.73 shipped! Pretty darn good, I think.

Note: if that coupon doesn't work you can also use creative10 which will get you $10 off.

Enjoy!
Might jump on this today. I wanted to hold out for the 89.99 deal but i need something for my prints like yesterday. Thanks for the heads up!
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory" -Bruce Lee
barneybp
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 am

sabometrics wrote:Hey guys - not quite as good as the deal in the original title but I just purchased one of these for a pretty good deal and figured people may want in.

Enjoy!
I have been waiting to get one of these...

You don't know what this means to my home - an entire guest room has just been re-opened! :notworthy: