Poster Mountain Appreciation Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
CrustaR
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2013 4:37 pm

aivc wrote:Well, apparently, when you get a silkscreen flattened to get creases out, the poster has to stay flat for the rest of its "life". Rolling it after the process will make the creases reappear, because the creases are only hidden when the poster is flat, and not fixed per se. You learn something everyday.
:? Where did you hear this?
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
aivc
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm

CrustaR wrote:
aivc wrote:Well, apparently, when you get a silkscreen flattened to get creases out, the poster has to stay flat for the rest of its "life". Rolling it after the process will make the creases reappear, because the creases are only hidden when the poster is flat, and not fixed per se. You learn something everyday.
:? Where did you hear this?
Called John today because my poster came back with no apparent work done on it. He said it was because it was shipped in a tube and not flat. Said they did work on it, but that the creases must have reappeared because I opted for PVC tube shipping instead of flat.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Wouldn't imagine they would even offer to ship prints back, that have had the gelatin process done to them, in a tube if that was correct. Strange.
aivc
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 pm

iambillyg wrote:Wouldn't imagine they would even offer to ship prints back, that have had the gelatin process done to them, in a tube if that was correct. Strange.
John said they really try to convince the customer to pay the extra to have it shipped flat. Personally I just said I wanted it shipped rolled, and I wasn't informed about the risks of it. Strange indeed.

Not too worried about PM taking care of me tho, they seem like cool peeps and good customer service.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 pm

OK, so this tells me that one should only "fix" creases for prints that you want to keep framed/flat for a long period of time and don't plan on shipping in a tube. :evil:
aivc
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 pm

At least it eliminates the problem some people had about getting a print that had been restored but looked mint (stamping on the back etc). No chances of getting a print that looks mint but was restored if shipped in a tube.

In any case, I got a full refund, so I'm not complaining at all.
Hellboy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Interesting.
postermount
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Depending on the reason for having a silk screen flattened using our resizing technique; most silk screens should be kept flat. This includes both storage and shipping. When a print is damaged and creases form in the paper it inherently weakens the structural integrity of the paper. Rolling a silk screen that has been flattened can potentially cause a relapse of the damage.
Damage or creases that run parallel with the way the print is rolled are at a higher risk of recurring. Creases that run perpendicular to the way the print is rolled seem to be less at jeopardy. However, there are always exceptions and there is no hard and fast rule for the way paper behaves. Each print is individual and should be treated as such.
For prints that have no damage whatsoever to them and have just been flattened, it is ok to roll them. This does negate the flattening process, but our resizing technique should not increase the risk of damaging the mint condition prints as long as proper storage and shipping methods are used. But again, there is no way to predict how paper will react or account for human error or accident. The safest way to store or ship a silk screen is in a flat package.
Poster Mountain’s shipping policy has been changed to reflect this. We will no longer roll Mondo-type screen prints for shipping. A flat package is the only way that a silk screen will now be shipped out of our facilities. Please take this into account when making your financial and shipping arrangements for your silk screens in the future.
And we will not take any responsibility for any damage that occurs as a result of mishandling once the poster has been received in good condition.
Froilan
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 am

I wish there were pictures of the print in question.
"... and then for one of them to come out and call out another artist for contributing to the over-saturated world of uninspired lazy art…" - Brad Klausen
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 18, 2013 11:10 am

What's the difference between simply flattening the print and what Aivc had done to his print?
aldo
Art Expert

Sat May 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Froilan wrote:I wish there were pictures of the print in question.
He posted it on the last page.
Froilan
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 pm

aldo wrote:
Froilan wrote:I wish there were pictures of the print in question.
He posted it on the last page.
Last page of what?
"... and then for one of them to come out and call out another artist for contributing to the over-saturated world of uninspired lazy art…" - Brad Klausen
milphey
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm

So I need to say this on here. Wow. I finally got a chance to open up my Glowy Egg that my cat knocked off my wall. Sent it to Poster Mountain, arrived completely flawless. You'd think that s*it just came off at a stack at a mondo event and it was packed so absurdly well. For a moment I had a case of the stupids and was frustrated by the packaging, but then I realized how it worked. Amazing guys.
mlinderer
Art Expert

Thu May 23, 2013 1:51 am

deestar wrote:Just saw John on UK tv, was watching Hollywood treasure and this guy wanted to authenticate a rare print that was worth $200,000. Man i was tilting my head at every chance to see if i could make out anything cool. John seems a cool guy and it was like i was virtually visiting Poster Heaven ot Mountain! :clap:
Just stumbled on the Hollywood Treasure episode on Netflix that John was on. Cool to see him get some recognition on TV.
thisisanton
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Dropped this off over the weekend to PM. It's my first time using them I hope the can fix this. :?

Will post before and after pictures.