Poster Mountain Appreciation Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Hey everyone,

Poster Mountain has been mentioned a lot here the past few months. A lot of people have questions and concerns regarding the work they do. Because of this, I thought it would be good to create a thread dedicated to them. This way, we can share our experiences and provide insight and help to members that need some restoration, but don't have a full understanding of what John and his team can do.

I currently have two of my prints at PM and I received confirmation this morning that they should be back to me in about two weeks. Once I get them back, I will be sure to post the before and after pictures here. Here's the before of one of them to help you understand right now what they're working on for me:
IMG_0946.JPG
I also know at least one other member has already shipped something off to John to help with some slight edge damage, and I believe another member just received a print that was damaged in shipment and will be sending it off.

For reference:
Site: http://www.postermountain.com/
Blog: http://www.postermountain.blogspot.com/
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Thu May 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Poster Mountain do some amazing work. :notworthy:
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
DrScott44
Art Expert

Thu May 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Coincidentally, we're going to be including Poster Mountain/John in Collider.com's new "Limited Paper" column on June 13th.

They're working on a piece for me between now and then, and we're going to include the "Before/After" photos, a brief interview with John, etc. in the piece.

These guys absolutely deserve all the appreciation they can get.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Did you stump up for the Mummy restoration in the end?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
lazk
Art Expert

Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 pm

I wish people would list the cost of the repair when they post the before & afters to give people an idea of what it MIGHT cost. I know every poster is different but it could help.
T.K.C.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

DrScott44 wrote:Coincidentally, we're going to be including Poster Mountain/John in Collider.com's new "Limited Paper" column on June 13th.

They're working on a piece for me between now and then, and we're going to include the "Before/After" photos, a brief interview with John, etc. in the piece.

These guys absolutely deserve all the appreciation they can get.
Seriously. Maybe I'll have mine back by then and we can get some hi-res in your column.
rubberneck wrote:Did you stump up for the Mummy restoration in the end?
I don't know what 'stump up' means. If it means 'pony up' then yes.
lazk wrote:I wish people would list the cost of the repair when they post the before & afters to give people an idea of what it MIGHT cost. I know every poster is different but it could help.
I will, for sure. I think The Mummy may end up being a blog post on their site. Not 100% on that though.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
geezer
Art Expert

Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 pm

They can also remove creases from older Fillmore and Family Dog posters. 50 bones per poster.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm

What is the usual turn-around time for these restorations?
Also, if Poster Mountain can fix that Mummy, then I'm pretty sure they can fix anything...except maybe not the Stout Blade Runner complete with living ecosystem.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 pm

mycrospazm wrote:What is the usual turn-around time for these restorations?
Also, if Poster Mountain can fix that Mummy, then I'm pretty sure they can fix anything...except maybe not the Stout Blade Runner complete with living ecosystem.
Depending on their volume, and the repairs needed, I would imagine one to two weeks after they receive it. I shipped my Dracula variant and Mummy. They both got the gelatin correction (to resolve bends or corner damage) and Dracula has been ready to be shipped back to me for a bit now, but I'm having them hold it so I can save on shipping with have them both sent at the same time.
ulrick
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:45 pm

I 'll post some before and after pictures tonight.
- Ulrick

The great white buffalo!
sixstringer
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:39 pm

I've seen some other threads about the work they do...pretty amazing stuff.

To be clear though...restoring a poster does not make it "mint" or "excellent" for sale purposes. It is still damaged goods. Just don't wanna see anyone get any ideas. I swear I saw a FS thread that said something like "now mint" or some fudge. :evil:
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 pm

sixstringer wrote:I've seen some other threads about the work they do...pretty amazing stuff.

To be clear though...restoring a poster does not make it "mint" or "excellent" for sale purposes. It is still damaged goods. Just don't wanna see anyone get any ideas. I swear I saw a FS thread that said something like "now mint" or some fudge. :evil:
Which brings up a question. How can you tell if a print has been restord? I know most on here would be up front about it, but the donkeys are out there... Do the mark it in some way as being restored?
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:03 pm

I've been told they stamp the back of it.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:53 pm

iambillyg wrote: Depending on their volume, and the repairs needed, I would imagine one to two weeks after they receive it. I shipped my Dracula variant and Mummy. They both got the gelatin correction (to resolve bends or corner damage) and Dracula has been ready to be shipped back to me for a bit now, but I'm having them hold it so I can save on shipping with have them both sent at the same time.
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to all of the before and after pics!