Newbie...how to store prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
erba
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I fold mine up to save on space.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:31 pm

erba wrote:I fold mine up to save on space.
8 folds max.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:29 pm

suchanoo wrote:
erba wrote:I fold mine up to save on space.
8 folds max.
unless it is the size of an blimp hanger and you have access to a forklift then you can get 11...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
theperfecttree
EB Team

Fri May 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Anyone else with a 24x36 portfolio feel it's a little... small? Picture below, it's like 1/4" too short.

Note: After all the messages warning "be careful when putting prints in pages!!!" I chose my scratch & dent Dracula to start with (hence the damage at the top which was already there)

anocur
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 11, 2012 8:36 pm

theperfecttree wrote:Anyone else with a 24x36 portfolio feel it's a little... small? Picture below, it's like 1/4" too short.

Note: After all the messages warning "be careful when putting prints in pages!!!" I chose my scratch & dent Dracula to start with (hence the damage at the top which was already there)

That's my #1 reason on being a holdout for buying a portfolio and sticking with foamcore sandwiches. I hope someone has a tip or something.
appletree wrote:People hang this stuff up? I thought it was supposed to go under my bed, gain value, and then make me some phat money? limited paper mayne
ksn
Art Expert

Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 pm

So I've been using 2-4

inside each

Image.

It might be overkill, and it's surprisingly heavy with everything inside, but it seems to have worked well so far. The sleeves are like $8 each and the portfolio is about $10 each. This was my solution for 24"x18" prints. Still not sure what to do with 24"x36" though.
technique
Art Expert

Sat May 12, 2012 5:48 pm

iambillyg wrote:Regarding flattening: Go to Hobby Lobby or your local crafts store. Purchase pieces of ACID FREE foamcore. When you get home, lay your prints on one piece and then lay the other piece over. This will protect them (for the most part) and help them lay flat. You can also purchase poster weights (like what are sold at the link in my sig) Please use me as a referral ;)

Depending on how long your prints have been stored in tubes, the wait to flatten them will vary. You can also lay books on the pieces of foamcore to add weight. Some people opt to purchase a piece of cheap wood from Home Depot or something for much more weight.

Regarding storing: Many people who don't have the funds or space for a flat file choose to store their prints between foamcore like above but under their bed. This helps to avoid pieces from being stepped on. You can also store them in a portfolio. I recommend ITOYA.

I just recently got my flat file in my apartment and got my first shipment of bags. I placed my print inside bags (1 print per bag) and then layed them in my file. I have about 6 stacked on top of one another. I got my bags here: http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/ Very affordable, and extremely fast shipping.

Here's how the prints look in mine:
IMG_0778.JPG
And as far as wood or metal flat files, I think that is really just up to personal preference. They're both going to weigh a ton. There may be a cost difference between them. But your best bet is to search Craigslist routinely and jump when you have one that you like. I would make sure you measure and know what you can handle. I've purchased one that was way too big and was then stuck trying to find someone to buy it.

Also, make sure each drawer comes out smooth and isn't missing components. Sometimes they will look nice from the outside, but have hidden issues.

Good luck and welcome. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Great post iambillyg and you can't get more accurate on how to store prints than this. I do pretty much this to an T minus the flatfile which I hopefully can secure soon but for now the acid free foamcore is great.
chan011
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am

this is a very informative thread, but here is a noob question

can i go straight from tube to frame or do i need to flatten the print out first?
suchanoo
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 4:12 am

chan011 wrote:this is a very informative thread, but here is a noob question

can i go straight from tube to frame or do i need to flatten the print out first?
It is possible, although not advisable, to frame direct from the tube. It depends on the type/thickness of paper, how tight it was rolled, how long it's been in the tube, and how it will be fixed in the frame.

I have successfully framed 1 print direct from the tube, although it had only been in there a day or two, and the tube was 6" diameter, plus it was to be held in place by extra thick matting.

Generally speaking, if you want to do it properly, you want to flatten it first.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
chan011
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 am

suchanoo wrote:
chan011 wrote:this is a very informative thread, but here is a noob question

It is possible, although not advisable, to frame direct from the tube. It depends on the type/thickness of paper, how tight it was rolled, how long it's been in the tube, and how it will be fixed in the frame.

I have successfully framed 1 print direct from the tube, although it had only been in there a day or two, and the tube was 6" diameter, plus it was to be held in place by extra thick matting.

Generally speaking, if you want to do it properly, you want to flatten it first.
thank you.
essential
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 17, 2012 11:26 am

misterwhisper wrote:Your print will only unroll so much, and very slowly, and be constantly exposed to light and household hazards, if you just let it sit out and unroll. Just sandwich it between archival foamboard and weigh it down with books to flatten.
This may sound stupid, but newbie is in the title.

When you put prints between pieces of acid-free foamcore, can the print touch the foamcore directly or are you supposed to put something between the print and the foamcore like acid free tissue paper, glassine sheets, or kraft paper? Also, if the print can just touch the foamcore directly, is it fine to just keep flattening different prints between the same foamcore every few weeks, like no debris will be left on the foamcore that could transfer to another piece by mistake?
i flip therefore i am
technique
Art Expert

Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

essential wrote:
misterwhisper wrote:Your print will only unroll so much, and very slowly, and be constantly exposed to light and household hazards, if you just let it sit out and unroll. Just sandwich it between archival foamboard and weigh it down with books to flatten.
This may sound stupid, but newbie is in the title.

When you put prints between pieces of acid-free foamcore, can the print touch the foamcore directly or are you supposed to put something between the print and the foamcore like acid free tissue paper, glassine sheets, or kraft paper? Also, if the print can just touch the foamcore directly, is it fine to just keep flattening different prints between the same foamcore every few weeks, like no debris will be left on the foamcore that could transfer to another piece by mistake?
I've stored prints between acid-free foamcore with no problem many of times but if you're unsure you can always use some acid-free bags which I got here http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/ and put them in those then flatten which seems to work out well. I've used the same 2 pieces of foamcore for almost all my prints that are I think around 32 x 40 so they fit most prints. If you feel the need to clean the foamcore before putting a new piece in between you can always use a horsehair dust brush to wipe away anything on the foamcore, you can usually pick up the brushes for around $4 from Hobby Lobby or Micheal's. I can't speak for others and how they flatten prints but these methods work for me so I hope that helps you.
c0rpe
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm

I've been storing my prints between two pieces of acid free foam core like has been suggested here.

My question is,is it harmful to store them vertically?

I had the prints between the 2 pieces of foam, then i've taped all the edges around and put the whole thing vertical since I don't really have any other space to lay it flat for long periods of time.

It's tight enough that the prints dont seem to fall to the bottom, but I wonder if this could cause funniness in the prints.

Any experience?
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 pm

c0rpe wrote:I've been storing my prints between two pieces of acid free foam core like has been suggested here.

My question is,is it harmful to store them vertically?

I had the prints between the 2 pieces of foam, then i've taped all the edges around and put the whole thing vertical since I don't really have any other space to lay it flat for long periods of time.

It's tight enough that the prints dont seem to fall to the bottom, but I wonder if this could cause funniness in the prints.

Any experience?

As long as you don't let the prints slide down and touch that tape, there shouldn't be an issue. Remember, every framed print on your wall is being stored vertically.

If you're going to store them like that regularly, you may want to consider using corners to hold them in place so they don't shift due to gravity. You may also consider binder clips instead of tape.
c0rpe
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:48 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
As long as you don't let the prints slide down and touch that tape, there shouldn't be an issue. Remember, every framed print on your wall is being stored vertically.

If you're going to store them like that regularly, you may want to consider using corners to hold them in place so they don't shift due to gravity. You may also consider binder clips instead of tape.

I wasn't sure what you meant by corners, but after looking them up my mind is blown. Those are great!!

My initial idea was to use clips, but I thought maybe they would exert too much pressure and I could accidently ruin a print if I made a mistake. I guess the same could be said for the tape, but gravity doesn't appear to be a problem. At least not yet. I like the idea of clips over tape, so i'll give that a whirl.
"
I was asking because I took out my foam core from behind the dresser today for the first time in about a month and a half. One of my screen prints was a little...hmmm...wobbly. Even though it's "flat", it appears to have some waviness to it.

Any idea what could cause that?