Jerry's Artarama: Picturesque Presentation Portfolio - 24x36

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking into this portfolio and had a few questions: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount- ... -cases.htm

I will only be storing 24x36" screen prints. Will the $199 24x36" option include everything I need to safely do this? (Aside from refills.)

I am limited on space and am considering building two small blocks of wood to hold this upright. Is there anything wrong with this? Does anyone else have any [free] suggestions?

Does anyone happen to have a discount code on hand? With shipping this to Canada, it's coming up quite expensive :hanging:

From what I've gathered here, this is a decent portfolio for storing prints long-term. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you!
Last edited by kryptonite on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mewash2
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

It's a great folio. Just store it under your bed. It comes with everything you need.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 pm

if you cant swing a file, its the next best thing imo. just be careful putting them in, not all are exactly 24x36 and I creased the drymount out of two posters putting them in. :hanging:
:cautiously removes pants:
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:05 pm

mewash2 wrote:It's a great folio. Just store it under your bed. It comes with everything you need.
Thanks, bud. How would I go about flattening this? I understand I need to use weights to hold the corners down - but for how long? From my understanding, the print should be perfectly flat before inserting into the sleeve?
virtualmert wrote:if you cant swing a file, its the next best thing imo. just be careful putting them in, not all are exactly 24x36 and I creased the drymount out of two posters putting them in. :hanging:
File's out of the question for now, so that's good. Not all sleeves are 24x36, or not all 24x36 prints? The only 24x36 I will be popping in are Mondo prints, if that helps.
veltri
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Just a heads up about shipping to Canada.
I got it sent UPS for $35 or so. But I got dinged at customs for an extra $90. $60 of that was just UPS fees.
The other alternative was USPS for $65. That way the customs/Canada post fees would have been about $40-50 I estimate.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

kryptonite wrote:
mewash2 wrote:It's a great folio. Just store it under your bed. It comes with everything you need.
Thanks, bud. How would I go about flattening this? I understand I need to use weights to hold the corners down - but for how long? From my understanding, the print should be perfectly flat before inserting into the sleeve?
virtualmert wrote:if you cant swing a file, its the next best thing imo. just be careful putting them in, not all are exactly 24x36 and I creased the drymount out of two posters putting them in. :hanging:
File's out of the question for now, so that's good. Not all sleeves are 24x36, or not all 24x36 prints? The only 24x36 I will be popping in are Mondo prints, if that helps.

not all prints are exact.
jgliddy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Amazon sells 30x40 Alvin print protectors (6 for $80) that I just ordered for 24x36 prints that I consider more valuable. Takes some stress away from trying to fit a valuable print into a stuffed portfolio.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I picked up one of these about a year ago. It's a great portfolio for storage. My only complaint about it is the rings. I hardly flip through mine and I'm already having some separation in the rings which now causes the pages to snag or come loose.

$.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
DarthHippie
Art Expert

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 pm

virtualmert wrote:
kryptonite wrote: File's out of the question for now, so that's good. Not all sleeves are 24x36, or not all 24x36 prints? The only 24x36 I will be popping in are Mondo prints, if that helps.

not all prints are exact.
This includes some of Mondo's.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.
jgliddy wrote:
Amazon sells 30x40 Alvin print protectors (6 for $80) that I just ordered for 24x36 prints that I consider more valuable. Takes some stress away from trying to fit a valuable print into a stuffed portfolio.
Hmm. Which option would you guys recommend? Mert, how often would you say you've had trouble fitting one of Mondo's posters into this thing? Does Alvin include everything I need as well? My only concern there is where I would store such large, loose sleeves.
halftonegraphics wrote:I picked up one of these about a year ago. It's a great portfolio for storage. My only complaint about it is the rings. I hardly flip through mine and I'm already having some separation in the rings which now causes the pages to snag or come loose.

$.02.
Have you had trouble fitting any Mondo poster in? The last thing I want is for a bit of the print to stick out, getting damaged.
veltri wrote:Just a heads up about shipping to Canada.
I got it sent UPS for $35 or so. But I got dinged at customs for an extra $90. $60 of that was just UPS fees.
The other alternative was USPS for $65. That way the customs/Canada post fees would have been about $40-50 I estimate.
Thanks. I hate UPS, so I'll definitely go with USPS if I order this.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 am

Posters I had problems with were Slaters Close Encounters, and Night of the Living Dead 11 Domaradzki, but it was hair raising getting some others in as well, sometimes I needed the wifes help. Once they are in youre golden, just take your time.
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

kryptonite wrote:....
Does anyone happen to have a discount code on hand? With shipping this to Canada, it's coming up quite expensive :hanging:

Thank you!

BONUS25
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 pm

I know you mentioned space is limited, but have you considered picking up a used flat file instead? I got one in LA for less than 199 and it seems like a lot safer way to store prints (plus it has much more capacity). The typical "small" flat file has interior dimensions around 25" x 37", so it has enough room for slightly oversized prints.
T.H.C.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks, Sweettea! Saw that earlier today in another thread and pulled the trigger - great savings!
SurfingJeff wrote:I know you mentioned space is limited, but have you considered picking up a used flat file instead? I got one in LA for less than 199 and it seems like a lot safer way to store prints (plus it has much more capacity). The typical "small" flat file has interior dimensions around 25" x 37", so it has enough room for slightly oversized prints.
Can't even consider it - space really is limited. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Dario33
Art Expert

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am

Well, the Picturesque 24x36 arrived in the mail yesterday and I had some difficulty inserting prints. I finally got one print in after about 15 minutes. I started off with a less valuable print and I can see why some avoid putting valuable prints in these -- I could just as easily have damaged it.

Also, do people really fit 2 prints per sleeve? It was a pretty tight fit with just the 1 and the paper backing.

Anyway, I think I'm going to return mine to Jerry's -- I just can't see myself struggling with the rest of my 24x36 prints and the risk of damaging them trying to insert. I think I'll just stick to my poly sleeves for now and the used flat file route sounds like a good idea.

I guess I was expecting these to fit just as easily as my Itoya 18x24 -- unfortunately that's not the case.