Texas crew needing flat files

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby iambillyg on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 am

Diabolos80 wrote:Okay guys, I need some help I think. I've been on the hunt for 6 weeks now and I haven't found diddly. I've been searching CL and ebay at least twice a week, I've checked in with a few architecture firms, and I've exhausted leads at local art stores and framers. Nada. If someone here has any leads on a flat file near Houston, please let me know. Save me before I rage buy a brand new $600 unit.

https://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/5354184423.html
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/art/5327444723.html
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Diabolos80 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks billy. I've seen the first listing. I contacted the seller, who was willing to negotiate IF I wanted all three units. I did not lol. The SA files look nice though. But Billy, sweet Billy, don't you just want to sell me one of your custom jobs? :D I read through your restoration thread and my god man, you do some beautiful work!

Also, another EBer put me onto this: http://www.homedecorators.com/p/martha- ... e-cabinet/

It might be a tight squeeze for 24x36 prints, and it's probably a pass for me cuz it wouldn't hold 40" stuff. But it looks really nice and the price is right.
Diabolos80
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 am

Postby theperfecttree on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:17 pm

I didn't come across anything else in houston, sorry. dallas folk might want to check this out though

$300 obo for an oversized 10-drawer file w/base + something you don't need but might be able to resell
eBay 151926257366

Image
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6118
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:25 pm

mike123230 wrote:
Diabolos80 wrote:Okay guys, I need some help I think. I've been on the hunt for 6 weeks now and I haven't found diddly. I've been searching CL and ebay at least twice a week, I've checked in with a few architecture firms, and I've exhausted leads at local art stores and framers. Nada. If someone here has any leads on a flat file near Houston, please let me know. Save me before I rage buy a brand new $600 unit.


Just gotta be patient. Eventually something will pop up, just gotta be ready when it does. Also check Austin and Dallas and then make a day trip out of it.


This. Took me over a year of looking before I found something suitable that I liked. Found them listed on ebay. A secondhand retailer was selling them. I ended up picking them up and paying in person after a bit of haggling.

Just be patient. Better to wait for the right ones than buy in haste.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 13386
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby iambillyg on Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:Thanks billy. I've seen the first listing. I contacted the seller, who was willing to negotiate IF I wanted all three units. I did not lol. The SA files look nice though. But Billy, sweet Billy, don't you just want to sell me one of your custom jobs? :D I read through your restoration thread and my god man, you do some beautiful work!

Also, another EBer put me onto this: http://www.homedecorators.com/p/martha- ... e-cabinet/

It might be a tight squeeze for 24x36 prints, and it's probably a pass for me cuz it wouldn't hold 40" stuff. But it looks really nice and the price is right.

Depending on how much he's willing to negotiate, it could be wise to pick up the three-pack deal, if you can store them for a bit.

Appreciate the kind words. I don't have any extra files for sale, right now, unfortunately. I've whittled myself down to the main one that I use, though I have been painting a file for someone else locally.

Like others have said, be patient and check regularly. I would make sure you determine what size you absolutely don't want and what size will work for the space that you have. A lot of files pop up on CL that are the over-sized ones. It sucks a lot to secure one of those, only to find you don't have the space for it. The same applies if you obtain a file that is too small, and then you can't fit Horkeys or other pieces.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Diabolos80 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:15 pm

:pint: Damn fine advisement all around.
Diabolos80
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 am

Postby printingframer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:40 am

FNG here.....I have some extra flat files I don't need.

They are approx 47" wide, 16" tall (per five drawer section) and 38" deep (front to back)
I may re-arrange my back shop and have a pair of smaller ones as well 36"x16"x 26" approx

$150 per 5 drawer section
printingframer
New User
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Denton County Tx

Postby iambillyg on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm

User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby theperfecttree on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:36 am

ATX auctions has two flat files ending on Jan 14th. last time they had a 5-drawer flat file it went for $150.

28"x41" http://atxauctions.hibid.com/lot/228802 ... ef=catalog
35"x47" http://atxauctions.hibid.com/lot/228802 ... ef=catalog
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6118
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby zenmechanic on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:30 pm

printingframer wrote:FNG here.....I have some extra flat files I don't need.

They are approx 47" wide, 16" tall (per five drawer section) and 38" deep (front to back)
I may re-arrange my back shop and have a pair of smaller ones as well 36"x16"x 26" approx

$150 per 5 drawer section


Metal or wood?
User avatar
zenmechanic
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Oklahoma

Postby iambillyg on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:38 pm

User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby theperfecttree on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 am

great deal in Austin posted yesterday. $150 for the set.
http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/5412007191.html
Image


---

Dallas 20-drawer setup $650 - http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fud/5402815493.html
Dallas XL 10-drawer setup with base $520 - http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/5381990343.html

----

San Antonio 5-drawer files $200/each - http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/fuo/5408703242.html
San Antonio 20-drawer oak set for $1k - http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/art/5410161090.html
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6118
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby iambillyg on Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 pm

You son of a bitch.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby theperfecttree on Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

iambillyg wrote:You son of a bitch.

ur getting slow
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6118
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby iambillyg on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:55 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
iambillyg wrote:You son of a bitch.

ur getting slow

Not too slow to secure them.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Art Care



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests