Are plastic "top loader "sleeves okay for storing

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
yanxrul
Art Enthusiast

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:15 pm

I have about 30 large posters - all above 24x36.

They are the size that will not fit into a large itoya portfolio where i keep my Fillmore posters..

I bought large size top loaders to hold them like the plastic holders that are used for baseball cards.

Does anyone know if they are okay to store posters?

Does anyone know of a place that I can buy mylar sleeves and a flat file in NYC area that won't cost me an arm and a leg? are they on craigs list?

SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY WELCOME!
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm

You should hit up yamar. He's a MSTRKRFT.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:26 pm

When is my 2 drawer model going to be built? :wink:
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:46 pm

Whenever. I actually need to write macc about if we want to go ahead with his. But I've got some time to build in the last week or two of the year here (and maybe the first week of next year). Anyone in the northeast that seriously wants to chat about one... drop a line.
Tra la la la la...
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:01 am

woulda been sweet to get one from you, but that's too damn far from me.

I'm gonna have to wait for a sweet deal on a flatfile around here. Some dude in the east bay is always selling them. I may go to him sometime soon.
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:07 pm

yeah Mike , I know where he is , I have a truck and resonable rates ,and take that flower outta your hair !
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 pm

yanxrul wrote:I have about 30 large posters - all above 24x36.

They are the size that will not fit into a large itoya portfolio where i keep my Fillmore posters..

I bought large size top loaders to hold them like the plastic holders that are used for baseball cards.

Does anyone know if they are okay to store posters?

Does anyone know of a place that I can buy mylar sleeves and a flat file in NYC area that won't cost me an arm and a leg? are they on craigs list?

SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY WELCOME!

Flat files are the best if you have the room and disposable income.
But, I've found that a few large Mylar sleeves are needed for moving posters around, from time to time ....

Almost all the large (24"x36") top loaders designed for sheets of baseball cards use a non-archival plastic that outgasses and, over a long time, will effect the stock. Unfortunately, most of the manufacturers claim these top loaders are archival. They can do this because there's no law/rules governing what archival means in this area. What they actually mean is that these top loaders can be used as an archive against rain, rats, piss, and toddlers with crayons. :?

That being said, you'd have to leave your posters in a nonarchival sleeve for a very long time before damage becomes noticable. I have friends that have collected for 30 or so years and have had posters in both archival and nonarchival solutions. It's amazing to see posters that were stored in nonarchival solutions for decades looking fresh. But, also sad to see posters stored in nonarchival sleeves, over the same period, yellowed from the acids and gasses in the sleeve. I really haven't seen a logical set of argumaents to explain exactly when non-archival solutions will start degrading stock. I realize that degradation always happens. But, 30 or so years in a nonarchival plastic sleeve with no damage??? I think it reasonable to assume that the acids will accumulate in the stock, even though they aren't noticable to the naked eye. Then, damage will show up down the road - even after being moved out of a nonarchival solution. My personal choice has been never to use nonarchival solutions for storage - unless I've bought a poster and need to take it home. I'm not going to stress over a short time ...

I bought the bulk of my BG, FD, Neon Rose, and Rick Griffins from Ben at the Postermat on Columbus in San Francisco. Many of the posters I bought, he pulled out of packs of posters that were wrapped in common brown wrapping paper, drenched in acids. I noticed no difference in the posters during the '70's. The latest I bought from him was the mid '80's - so these posters were wrapped for 15 years or so. I remember that some of the posters, right up against the brown paper were discolored, but the ones in the pack were fresh. Whenever he broke open a new pack - I always asked for a poster inside the pack and not one on the end. A friend had learned this from his pop, who collected art prints for many years. Lessons learned.

Also, the stock used for most of the posters during this time period contained acids - which will eventually cause discoloring. There are ways of somewhat cheaply neutralizing the effects of the acids in these old posters, but as usual, there is significant disagrrement by experts. Neutralizing backings can help - according to many professional archivists.

Mylar 24"x36" top loaders are available and are truly archival. But, they're costly. Dennis King (Dennis King Gallery) sells them on his poster site in packs of 10 for $8 a piece. You get a break when you buy more.

I've also found that I prefer an archival backing board in the very large sleeves - it eases getting the poster in and out. I can then also put a poster in on each side of the board.

By the way - professional archivists are very picky about the flat files they employ. The glues, the wood, and even the way the wood is processed, have been proven to be problematic over the long term. You'll usually find that the most valuable paper products are not stored in straight wood flat files. But, how many of us collect pieces that valuable??? :wink:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:20 pm

the gold standard of archival reaserch.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
yanxrul
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:21 pm

also one other question?
I store stuff in a closed room in a finished basement with a huge de-humidifier which is checked and emptied every few days.
i have had cards and posters there for 6-7 years and have never had a problem. no mildew or nothing like that. the dehumidifier does fill up every few days depending on the weather.
we are in ny so in the winter - it doesn't fill up that much - much more so in summer months. but i guess the dehumidifier takes all the moisture out .

Is this a time bomb? I don't have any other room to store stuff right now.
am i just kidding myself and will i one day have a big problem?
i could always get another dehumidifier and run 2 of them?
marshhouse
Art Expert

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm

For mylar sleeves you might want to check out Atlantic Protective Pouches

http://www.atlanticprotectivepouches.com/

Wally is a great guy, has good products, and if you mention you're on the EB message board he may even cut you a break on the prices. He was running a special at one time for BRY, EB, and other poster mb.

Good luck.
Bacon is love.
mariakenneth147
New User

Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 am

I bought large top loaders to store my posters, similar to the plastic holders used for baseball cards. Does anyone know if they're suitable for poster storage? Also, I am seeking recommendations for affordable mylar sleeves and a flat file in the NYC area. Any suggestions or leads, especially on Craigslist, would be greatly appreciated!
the omegle helps connect to strangers
DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2024 9:29 am

mariakenneth147 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 am
I bought large top loaders to store my posters, similar to the plastic holders used for baseball cards. Does anyone know if they're suitable for poster storage? Also, I am seeking recommendations for affordable mylar sleeves and a flat file in the NYC area. Any suggestions or leads, especially on Craigslist, would be greatly appreciated!
the omegle helps connect to strangers
Bags Unlimited have a pretty wide selection of archival sleeves.
ImageImageImage