Flattening prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
phanatic420
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 pm

what methods do you use to flatten prints that have been rolled in a tube for a long time or maybe rolled much to tight to begin with? and do you have any prints that seem like they will never lose their curl?
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:05 pm

I weight down each side just enough to encourage the paper to relax. After a few days, the paper should be less stuborn. Then I put it under something bigger than it is. Backboard is great for this because you can put weight on the board and you know it won't harm the print.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:02 am

sunsetbrew wrote:I weight down each side just enough to encourage the paper to relax. After a few days, the paper should be less stuborn. Then I put it under something bigger than it is. Backboard is great for this because you can put weight on the board and you know it won't harm the print.
Hah, that's basically what I do. I thought this was the cheap/lazy man's method. I guess I was onto something.
morst
EB Team

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:26 am

if I have a tightly-rolled print that's REALLY stubborn I go through several phases to gently flatten it.

1 - Roll it from the other end. If the bottom edge of the print is on the outside of the roll when it's tubed, roll it from the bottom so the top edge is on the outside. If you like, you can wrap it AROUND the tube it was in, or a larger one. Make sure the tube is clean, or wrap some clean paper around it if you are in doubt. I suppose you could roll it around progressively larger tubes to relax it gradually.

2- CAREFULLY slide one edge of the rolled print in between a couple sheets of clean matteboard, and as you unroll the print, slide the whole thing between the mattes, then place them face down on a flat surface with something larger on top. I have a lot of posters that are shrink-wrapped onto acid-free cardboard, and I have some that I have sliced open the top edge. I will then slide the tightly-rolled poster into that, or even slide a mylar sleeve into the shrink-wrap and then slide the poster into the mylar. I use larger cardboard/shrinkwrapped posters to weight down the tight one. BE CAREFUL NOT TO ALLOW THE TIGHT ONE TO CURL UP AS YOU WEIGHT IT DOWN! You don't want to crease a corner! Let it sit like this for several days or even a few weeks until it relaxes enough so it doesn't roll back up when you take it out.

3- If you want to speed up the process, you can "counter-roll" the poster, but this can be dangerous. By counter-rolling, I mean, roll the surface that was inside the roll as the outside. This has potential to damage the inks on silk-screened prints, so consider this method carefully before you attempt it. I have a hunch it's more reliable for lithos than for prints with thick ink.

Basically, the longer it has been stored rolled, the longer it will take to relax. Time is your best ally. If you can avoid rushing the process, you will have a better likelihood of being able to flatten the print with no damage.

Let me know if this is not perfectly clear, or if you need photos to better understand what I mean, and I'll try to provide examples.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 am

morst wrote:if I have a tightly-rolled print that's REALLY stubborn I go through several phases to gently flatten it.

1 - Roll it from the other end. If the bottom edge of the print is on the outside of the roll when it's tubed, roll it from the bottom so the top edge is on the outside. If you like, you can wrap it AROUND the tube it was in, or a larger one. Make sure the tube is clean, or wrap some clean paper around it if you are in doubt. I suppose you could roll it around progressively larger tubes to relax it gradually.

2- CAREFULLY slide one edge of the rolled print in between a couple sheets of clean matteboard, and as you unroll the print, slide the whole thing between the mattes, then place them face down on a flat surface with something larger on top. I have a lot of posters that are shrink-wrapped onto acid-free cardboard, and I have some that I have sliced open the top edge. I will then slide the tightly-rolled poster into that, or even slide a mylar sleeve into the shrink-wrap and then slide the poster into the mylar. I use larger cardboard/shrinkwrapped posters to weight down the tight one. BE CAREFUL NOT TO ALLOW THE TIGHT ONE TO CURL UP AS YOU WEIGHT IT DOWN! You don't want to crease a corner! Let it sit like this for several days or even a few weeks until it relaxes enough so it doesn't roll back up when you take it out.

3- If you want to speed up the process, you can "counter-roll" the poster, but this can be dangerous. By counter-rolling, I mean, roll the surface that was inside the roll as the outside. This has potential to damage the inks on silk-screened prints, so consider this method carefully before you attempt it. I have a hunch it's more reliable for lithos than for prints with thick ink.

Basically, the longer it has been stored rolled, the longer it will take to relax. Time is your best ally. If you can avoid rushing the process, you will have a better likelihood of being able to flatten the print with no damage.

Let me know if this is not perfectly clear, or if you need photos to better understand what I mean, and I'll try to provide examples.
I'm a bit confused on one and two. What's the point of re-rerolling the print? Perhaps this relaxes it some? Number two sounds like it can become fairly convoluted.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:07 am

Erm, I use books. One per corner.

Equals four.

Unroll and flatten as soon as I receive.

My old apartment was terrible. I had posters all over the drymounting place. Couldn't eat anywhere except my computer desk or my bed.

After a good long while of flattening, they go under the old bed.

drymounting drymount, I need a flatfile.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:40 am

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:Erm, I use books. One per corner.

Equals four.

yes sir......that's about all you need to do.
bostonlou
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 am

i soak em in water and vinegar and then when they dry they're completely flat

:)
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:56 am

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote: drymounting drymount, I need a flatfile.
Working on it. Actually will try and post up pics of the "under the bed" three drawer unit that I did two weeks back and finished up last weekend. Looks nice, 3 drawers and just under 9" tall (I believe - might be less) so you can hide it from whoever.
Tra la la la la...
macc5
EB Team

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 am

Yamar wrote:
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote: drymounting drymount, I need a flatfile.
Working on it. Actually will try and post up pics of the "under the bed" three drawer unit that I did two weeks back and finished up last weekend. Looks nice, 3 drawers and just under 9" tall (I believe - might be less) so you can hide it from whoever.
looking forward to some flat files from Yamar!!! :D
morst
EB Team

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:56 am

Codeblue wrote:
morst wrote:if I have a tightly-rolled print that's REALLY stubborn I go through several phases to gently flatten it.
. . .
I'm a bit confused on one and two. What's the point of re-rerolling the print? Perhaps this relaxes it some? Number two sounds like it can become fairly convoluted.
Sometimes you get one that's so tight it takes two people to unroll properly, and if there's nobody else around, or I'm in a hurry to get out of the house, I'll do the #1 method and leave it until I'm ready to dedicate more time to the project.
#2 is really not that tough, it's just hard to describe easily. If I had some of those expensive library weights it would be easier to just use them, then slide it into a stack and use the "books" method.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/prod ... ?pgid=2972
treesis
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:08 am

I use a large tablet of acid free paper. if its wound up tightly i'll let it naturally uncoil for a few days on top of the collection. then after it has enough elasticity to be ok, i'll gently work it in. after a while it really flattens them out. that way its a uniform weight instead of random books or stuff on corners (no offense to y'all). im paranoid about stuff ruining my flatstock. which is kind of funny considering the precarious position my large posters are in (too large for a tablet).

one time i accidentally damaged a print (thankfully one of little value), put it in the tablet and over time its almost smoothed it out on its own like self-repair. I was impressed.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:23 am

I've had a couple of prints "self correct" as well over time - just border wear/damage, mostly creasing but still much better than they had been. Nothing overly $$$ wounded at least.
Tra la la la la...
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 pm

bostonlou wrote:i soak em in water and vinegar and then when they dry they're completely flat

:)
Me Too! :lol:

We eat on the couch... short version.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:13 pm

morst wrote:If I had some of those expensive library weights it would be easier to just use them, then slide it into a stack and use the "books" method.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/prod ... ?pgid=2972
If you're interested there are some weights just like those on the Dick Blick website made by Lineco for about a 3rd of the price in half pound and one pound sizes. I have 4 of the half pounders and they are plenty.