Just bought a flat file...

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 pm

I love the dust covers. Lets you know nothing inside has curled up and is going to get chewed to fudge when you open a drawer.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 am

I was contemplating starting a thread about this. I imagine there is one somewhere. We should have a flat file Q&A thread to avoid the millions of threads about this. First post would include links, common answers, suggestions, where to buy glassine, foamcore, etc.

Anyway I was curious about these dust covers. Mine has a rectangle long weighted bar on the front and back of each drawer with the cover in the middle of these two securing points. Any idea if over time the slight weight will indent any posters underneath?
My flat file is really huge and I have plenty of room so for the most part I put prints not under the bars. Was just curious on the general consensus.

I cleaned the entire flat file, lubed the tracks/bearings, wiped off the dust covers, etc. I then lined each drawer with glassine and then started loading prints. All prints are either in poly bags or glassine. Still undecided if I should could using the dust cover things or not.

Any advice?
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

appletree wrote:I was contemplating starting a thread about this. I imagine there is one somewhere. We should have a flat file Q&A thread to avoid the millions of threads about this. First post would include links, common answers, suggestions, where to buy glassine, foamcore, etc.

Anyway I was curious about these dust covers. Mine has a rectangle long weighted bar on the front and back of each drawer with the cover in the middle of these two securing points. Any idea if over time the slight weight will indent any posters underneath? My flat file is really huge and I have plenty of room so for the most part I put prints not under the bars. Was just curious on the general consensus.

I cleaned the entire flat file, lubed the tracks/bearings, wiped off the dust covers, etc. I then lined each drawer with glassine and then started loading prints. All prints are either in poly bags or glassine. Still undecided if I should could using the dust cover things or not.

Any advice?
That same fear is why I removed most of mine. I do have a few drawers where I put prints that are fairly flat, but could use a bit more before mounting to backers and putting in sleeves. I left those bars/metal thingies in place on these drawers, but I do put a piece of foam core on top of the stack before dropping down the metal covers to avoid any type of indentation or accidental edge bump.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 am

Hmm I might place some foam core strips or some padding on them. Ohh for I won't do anything tacky, but I might try some adhesive weather stripping or something of similar nature. I like them and the weight seems very slight (cannot even confirm how much, if any, it is pushing down), I just would hate to have it affect a print and find out about it the hard way.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

jettad
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:17 am

appletree wrote:Hmm I might place some foam core strips or some padding on them. Ohh for I won't do anything tacky, but I might try some adhesive weather stripping or something of similar nature. I like them and the weight seems very slight (cannot even confirm how much, if any, it is pushing down), I just would hate to have it affect a print and find out about it the hard way.
I'd just put a full sheet of foam core there, no strips.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 am

Alright thanks for the advice.
I think I am going to attempt to start a thread. I have more questions, but gonna try a Q&A thread and see how it goes. I will compile some stuff for the first post and get it rolling today during lunch.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.