Acid Free paper to wrap posters?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:11 am

Hey now,

Does anyone know of a source for bulk (rolls) acid free paper? I'm looking for an alternative to plain ol' kraft paper, but cannot find anything excepte in smaller quantities.

Thanks!
Judy
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:26 pm

I know that Thomas had gotten a nice butcher's roll for the EB Series, but have no idea where it's from. Oh yo sunset!!! Chime in!!!
Tra la la la la...
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:10 pm

When I bought out Ben {Friedman}, we had to wrap alot of posters. {This is in summer of 1990]. I asked around, and found out that a lot of white paper is already pretty acid free. In fact, we used white butcher paper which worked quite well. It has to be a little thicker so that it won't break when it is bundled from 'torqing' [don't know how to spell it]. Make sure the corners are nice and neat. The other thing we used was, oddly enough, acid free tape. This was expensive, but it lasts forever without yellowing or peeling from the surface.

Rolled paper is much cheaper than pre-cut; and check around for the price-----there should be a place that sells cardboard boxes, etc. And, sometimes you can work the price down.

When wrapping, we found it easiest to:

fan the posters prior to counting
fold the corners, etc. just like an x-mas present
use regular scotch tape or ups seals to 'tack down' the folds
use the acid free tape then to adhere everything down permanently
try to keep everything in even 25, 50 or 100 bundles
use sharpie's to label BOTH ends with quantity, item # and band/description

Hope I didn't blather on too long----but , as you know, I am a BIG fan of drowning Creek, -------your artwork is truly great.

Phil

P>S> Just wanted to reemphasize the acid free tape-------it really works well, and, if you are planning on storing it for a long time, it really is the best.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:05 pm

We by our "butcher paper" rolls from uline. If you buy the horizontal dispenser at about the same price you will be patting yourself on the back forever. The 24" rolls work well in the 24" tubes.
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:37 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:The 24" rolls work well in the 24" tubes.
Sheesh, my head is spinning from the mathematical calculations involved here

:).
whalaw
Site Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:14 pm

Bags Unlimited has a roll of buffered acid-free paper here:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detai ... ataf40250b
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:01 pm

Butcher paper sounds tits.... don't know why i didn't think of that before. I already have those horizontal cutters, Thomas, and use them for the rolls of kraft paper... also have an account w/ Uline already, so I'm set.

Phil - I'm already a stickler for neatly wrapped corners, labeling, and keeping the packages at 50 or less posters per. And i still can't find anything. I've had 4 diffferent people in here that I tried to train to keep inventory straight... either I am a bad teacher, or something because I am going to end up doing it myself to make sure it's done right.

Acid free tape, huh?

Thanks, guys!! I knew I could get answers here..... :)
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:36 pm

The acid free tape sounds not really worthwhile, but, if you are in it for the long haul, it lasts forever [but is expensive]

You might try using the same number in each bun dle---it simplifies things. It really is easist to 'fan' them before counting------kind of like you see some people count money overseas-----I had to count and bundle over 400,000 pieces when I bought out Ben so I got real good at it. Another thing we just tried a couple of years ago during inventory wa using a scale---I was surprised how well it worked.

Might also try having people put their initials on the fainished wrapped packages. Also, a quick weight check is sometimes useful.

Anyway, keep up your great art........it makes life just that much more enjoyable.....

Phil
glkaiser

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:34 pm

Most Kraft Paper and Butcher Paper is "pretty much" acid free....but most places will not guarantee it.

I work for Uline and the only guaranteed acid free paper that we sell is the S-8594 White Tissue Paper....nothing else is GUARANTEED to be acid free. It comes in 20x30" sheets.

Let me know if you ever have any questions about this paper.....
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:59 am

Thanks for the tip.
thunderFence
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:54 am

So does anyone know where i can score paper with sid? I think i would enjoy many of my posters with some paper with acid. :D