can you store posters on top of each other?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
disdig1
Art Expert

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 am

use glassine paper in between prints. works really well when storing on top of each other.
woodrowgus
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:06 pm

disdig1 wrote:use glassine paper in between prints. works really well when storing on top of each other.
Yup, most cost effective method I've found for stacked storage in my flat file without using bags. Also makes pulling bottom tier prints out hassle free.

If you have multiple prints or do much trading/selling, I'd recommend picking up a roll. I buy it here: http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=25110
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

I decided to go ahead and chance storing prints together in my frames without anything in between. I was worried that there would be bleeding but have not noticed any after months of having them on top of each other. Here is a video to show how I stored them,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkZGjqIg1c
Baker
Art Expert

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 pm

southerngarden wrote:
RupertPupkin wrote:My prints are stored in a flat file, but within each draw the prints are just stacked on top of each other. I used to put acid free tissue paper betwen each print but it just became too much hassle. Not had any problems yet, and I must have at least 20-30 prints in each draw.
was actually just wondering about this myself as im finally moving into the world of flat files tomorrow...i was thinking id just pic and choose which prints get tissue or craft paper between them, but for the most part, id planned on just stacking them...with out any movement or serious weight pressing down on them, i dont see what the problem would be...and reading this from Rupert has me pretty satisfied, as he's one to know. thanks.
Kraft is by no means acid free. If you are going to interleaf between the prints use acid free tissue or glassine.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I imagine it also has to do with the around of humidity the prints are in and the type of printing used. Screen printing layers the ink on while "archival printing" (giclee) does ink jet printing. I wonder if one is more likely to stick in a more humid environment.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 am

SpotlightDisplays wrote:I decided to go ahead and chance storing prints together in my frames without anything in between. I was worried that there would be bleeding but have not noticed any after months of having them on top of each other. Here is a video to show how I stored them,

Why not put a thin sheet of glassine/tissue between them? Wouldn't add much to the thickness (less than 1mm) and as far as I'm concerned it would eliminate completely any kind of ink bleeding/rubbing. I'll be doing this myself once I start framing more of my prints. I'm surprised it's not talked about more. As long as the backing is not sticking out the back of the frame and it's not clipped shut too tightly I don't see any negatives to doing this.
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 am

simonldt wrote:
SpotlightDisplays wrote:I decided to go ahead and chance storing prints together in my frames without anything in between. I was worried that there would be bleeding but have not noticed any after months of having them on top of each other. Here is a video to show how I stored them,

Why not put a thin sheet of glassine/tissue between them? Wouldn't add much to the thickness (less than 1mm) and as far as I'm concerned it would eliminate completely any kind of ink bleeding/rubbing. I'll be doing this myself once I start framing more of my prints. I'm surprised it's not talked about more. As long as the backing is not sticking out the back of the frame and it's not clipped shut too tightly I don't see any negatives to doing this.
Oh I think that is a great suggestion and think the more protection the better!
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 am

SpotlightDisplays wrote:
simonldt wrote:

Yep, I don't think you could go wrong with mount > print > tissue/glassine > print > acid-free backing. Could easily store a few prints per frame that are same size and could if need be switch them up every few months for a change of look. I probably wouldn't store more than say 3 per frame though, although I suppose it depends on how much room you have at the back of the frame and the weight of the prints.
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:25 am

simonldt wrote:
SpotlightDisplays wrote:
simonldt wrote:

Yep, I don't think you could go wrong with mount > print > tissue/glassine > print > acid-free backing. Could easily store a few prints per frame that are same size and could if need be switch them up every few months for a change of look. I probably wouldn't store more than say 3 per frame though, although I suppose it depends on how much room you have at the back of the frame and the weight of the prints.
The weight really isn't a problem as you can put drywall screws in to mount the frames. Our overlays are acid free and UV protective.

I will be adding more prints to see how it works out.
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 pm

^^ Sounds good, do keep us posted on your findings.