Question about flat files/larger posters

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
AstroFan
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:04 pm

If my flat file is approximately 23 inches(horizontally), and the poster is approx 24 inches, would you strongly reccomend against slightly curving the sides of the posters up to fit it in? Is it worse than storing in a tube until framing is possible(atleast several months till I could get it framed)? Thanks.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I don't like either option.....it's a coin flip.
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:00 pm

what would scare me is the possibility of the upturned edges getting caught while opening or closing the drawer and tearing the print. Other than that, temporary storage with slightly upturned edges should be no big deal and to me would be better than a tube, beucase the majority of the print is relaxed and flat...its just the idea of getting caught while opening or closing that makes me cringe..
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:25 pm

I'd think it would depend as well on how many prints might be placed on top of the "oversize" one. If you put a number of prints against one edge, it's possible to crease the oversize one at the point of the curl, I'd think.

Would depend more than a bit to me the replacement cost (and difficulty to do so) -- leave it in a tube if it's rare or costly because a couple of months isn't going to make that much difference. Then again, I have a lot of traffic in and out of my stacks (it seems) so the odds of me injuring something oversize in the wrong stack would be greater than if it was left in a tube...
Tra la la la la...