Help me use linen cloth tape.....

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:58 pm

i want to use this product, becuase it is readily available in my area, and want some advise on using this or other similar products:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,43293

so do i use the linen cloth tape to adhere the artwork directly to the mat? i would use it on the back of the artwork, 1/2 of the width on the back of the artwork and 1/2 on the mat?

or do i put the entire width of the tape on the back of the artwork and then use "acid free" double sided tape to adhere the artwork to the mat?

or do i use the "t hinges" like they have shown below using the linen cloth tape

any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
cro225
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:00 pm

I use the linen tape to adhere the backing board to the mats only. Then use mylar corner mounts or mylar strips to hold the print in place. I never use any tapes on the actual artwork.
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:26 pm

cro225 wrote:I use the linen tape to adhere the backing board to the mats only. Then use mylar corner mounts or mylar strips to hold the print in place. I never use any tapes on the actual artwork.
those are similar to these, i'm assuming http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=17460

so how many do use use? top, sides, bottom etc?
cro225
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:26 pm

brucered wrote:
cro225 wrote:I use the linen tape to adhere the backing board to the mats only. Then use mylar corner mounts or mylar strips to hold the print in place. I never use any tapes on the actual artwork.
those are similar to these, i'm assuming http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=17460

so how many do use use? top, sides, bottom etc?
I usually use the corner mounts like the ones found here.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz173/06/
If the print i am mounting is big or on heavy paper I also use the strips on the bottom, top and sides like those you linked to.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 am

I have a pretty good book that shows how to mount art using several methods including acid free tape. PM me if you're interested in the title/author of the book. Some people prefer corners as mentioned above because they are worried that the tape will damage the print. Supposedly it won't if the tape is truly acid free and you remove it properly. I recently had a bunch of pieces framed by a professional framer (Emek's framer), and he used acid free linen tape. I guess it's just personal preference.
dougr
Site Admin

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:58 am

using linen tape to affix a print to a matte is a no-no. no museum worth its salt would do this.
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:46 pm

dougr wrote:using linen tape to affix a print to a matte is a no-no. no museum worth its salt would do this.
so how do museums mount their artwork?

the help section about "museum mounting" affixes the hinging tape directly to the back of the artwork and the backing board, is the correct way of doing it?
http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index ... he_Artwork
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:47 pm

dougr wrote:using linen tape to affix a print to a matte is a no-no. no museum worth its salt would do this.
I'm confused...in a previous thread you said you have done this before. Did I miss something?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:51 pm

In addition see the following advice excerpt from a museum curator at www.DrLoriV.com

I would say she probably knows a thing or two about framing :wink:

What is professional framing?

Most frame shops are dedicated to archival, museum quality framing. Well, that sounds very good but what does that mean?

Basically, that means that a professional, standard archival, quality frame shop will only use 100% cotton rag or other all natural materials in their mats and appropriate archival protective processes for framing. Framers who offer archival framing services will only use linen tape, for example, to secure the work of art to the mat so it does not shift in the frame. They should never use cellophane tape or masking tape or another adhesive such as basic glue to hold down a work of art within a frame. You should ask about this procedure and the framer, a good one anyway, will tell you that they are using the proper materials. Don't be embarrassed, just ask the questions so you get your work framed properly.
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:28 am

i plan on framing it myself, that's why i'm asking all these questions here. i was hoping i could gather some other people's knowledge before i started it.

so it looks like linen cloth tape secured to the backing board with t-hinges for me. i haven't decided whether i'll use the japanese paper hinge paste method yet or not. i haven't actually seen the linen cloth tape yet, so i don't know exactly how it works.
dougr
Site Admin

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:52 am

Linen tape is used properly to hinge the backing matte to the front matte.

Use Japanese hinges to secure the print to the matte. There is no gum whatsoever. This is the only method that comes close to being truly reversible.
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:23 am

dougr wrote:Linen tape is used properly to hinge the backing matte to the front matte.

Use Japanese hinges to secure the print to the matte. There is no gum whatsoever. This is the only method that comes close to being truly reversible.
sounds good. so i guess the "japanese hinging paper" is truly just that, just paper, with no sticky stuff on it. it's the paste that you make that works in conjunction with the "japanese hinging paper" that makes it adhere to the back of the artwork and to the backing board.
dougr
Site Admin

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 am

brucered wrote:
dougr wrote:Linen tape is used properly to hinge the backing matte to the front matte.

sounds good. so i guess the "japanese hinging paper" is truly just that, just paper, with no sticky stuff on it. it's the paste that you make that works in conjunction with the "japanese hinging paper" that makes it adhere to the back of the artwork and to the backing board.
yup, that's it :)
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:40 pm

We need a professional framer to join these boards to set us all straight.....
brucered
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:04 pm

Codeblue wrote:We need a professional framer to join these boards to set us all straight.....
yup.

i guess if you are doing it yourself, like i'm going to be, it's personal preference. i'll use the EB help guide as my templated. linen tape for joining the mattes and backing board, and japanese paper hinges for adhering the artwork to the backing board.