a ? about rematting a print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Boatman76
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 am

if its possible at all, but i don't see why it wouldn't be. these prints are in frames but are old and turning color because of the mat. i don't want to get talked into something i don't need when i get to the frame shop, so i thought someone might have some advice for me. should i take the frame apart to get them stored in something better for the time being? that's kinda scary. thanks for your time. erin
Flimby

Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22 am

Boatman76 wrote:if its possible at all, but i don't see why it wouldn't be. these prints are in frames but are old and turning color because of the mat. i don't want to get talked into something i don't need when i get to the frame shop, so i thought someone might have some advice for me. should i take the frame apart to get them stored in something better for the time being? that's kinda scary. thanks for your time. erin
Based on what you have said, this is what I would do.

Carefully take the print out of the current frame and store it flat. Then remat and frame it as you like later. (You can either do it yourself through American Frame or take it to a good frame shop.)
Take a look at this page for proper storage, it will also give you an idea of what storage materials you will want to buy:

http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index ... Your_Print

Good luck, welcome to the board and have fun! :D
dougr
Site Admin

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:22 pm

yeah, if the print's matte is causing discoloration, get it out of that matte asap!
Boatman76
Art Enthusiast

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 pm

thanks for the advice! i did take the prints out of the frame- discovered masking tape holding them on the mattes (jeezle petes!) so now i am on a small mission to see if they can get cleaned up at least, if not rematted the right way. they are tiny. thanks again for your help- i really appreciate it. erin. ps i hope its okay to be using my boyfriend's screename- i don't want to be rude or anything, so i hope it doesn't piss anyone off.
Flimby

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:40 pm

Boatman76 wrote:thanks for the advice! i did take the prints out of the frame- discovered masking tape holding them on the mattes (jeezle petes!) so now i am on a small mission to see if they can get cleaned up at least, if not rematted the right way. they are tiny. thanks again for your help- i really appreciate it. erin. ps i hope its okay to be using my boyfriend's screename- i don't want to be rude or anything, so i hope it doesn't piss anyone off.
no problem, you also might want to check out www.americanframe.com and perhaps make one of your reframes a DIY project. It wil surely be less expensive.

again, good luck