Wooden Flat File...Line the drawers?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Maven
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm thinking about picking up a wooden flat file today after work and I was wondering if anyone thinks it would necessary to line the drawers with anything. I've been researching acid free tissue paper and felt, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.
ianstone
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 pm

i have a wooden flat file and i have all my prints in mylar with backings, and then just put in the drawers. if you have any other methods, i'd love to hear them as well.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:37 pm

I just sandwich my prints between full sheets of matboard.

One sheet on the bottom to line the drawer, and one on top to weigh 'em down and keep 'em flat.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Right now, until I can get all of my pics framed (i have only been collecting for about a month), I've just been thumb tacking my prints to the wall. My Horkey 'Detritus' will look about 18 times better once i get it framed.
gfraser
Art Expert

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 pm

cadeallaw wrote:I've just been thumb tacking my prints to the wall.
:shock:
jmw4918
Flipper

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:05 pm

gfraser wrote:
I know...dude you should not use thumb tacks.....everyone knows that duct tape will not harm the prints like thumbtacks
signature
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:13 pm

jmw4918 wrote:
gfraser wrote:
I know...dude you should not use thumb tacks.....everyone knows that duct tape will not harm the prints like thumbtacks
:lol: I've also found out that 3 out of 4 times, a hot iron can be successfully used to smooth out posters/prints and speed up the flattening process by 90%
jmw4918
Flipper

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 pm

cadeallaw wrote:
jmw4918 wrote:
gfraser wrote:
:lol: I've also found out that 3 out of 4 times, a hot iron can be successfully used to smooth out posters/prints and speed up the flattening process by 90%
and for a moment I was worried you weren't taking care of your prints. :wink: :lol:
signature
bostonlou
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:16 pm

are metal files that much better for the prints than wooden?

or is it ok if you take the steps above... ie mylar or acid free between the prints and the wood

thanks
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 am

bostonlou wrote:are metal files that much better for the prints than wooden?

or is it ok if you take the steps above... ie mylar or acid free between the prints and the wood

thanks
the glue in a wooden flat file may not be archival....likewise, if it's made from plywood (drawer bottoms) it may off gas formaldehyde.
this may not be a huge issue for screen prints, but the papers made spacificly for giclee printing tend to be hydroscopic and can easily discolor at the edges from pollutants.
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:19 am

electrachrome wrote:
bostonlou wrote:are metal files that much better for the prints than wooden?

thanks
the glue in a wooden flat file may not be archival....likewise, if it's made from plywood (drawer bottoms) it may off gas formaldehyde.
this may not be a huge issue for screen prints, but the papers made spacificly for giclee printing tend to be hydroscopic and can easily discolor at the edges from pollutants.
I had always wondered exactly how much of this was fact, and how much of it was over-anal pretentious caution

but if electrachrome says it is so, then it is. There can't be that many people more qualified to speak about this sort of thing than Damon.
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 pm

electrachrome wrote:the glue in a wooden flat file may not be archival....likewise, if it's made from plywood (drawer bottoms) it may off gas formaldehyde.
Bumpin' an old one here.

Would lining the drawers with some acid free matboard help, our would the gases make it through? I'm sure they would, but I thought I'd ask. I got a line on a nice 8-drawer 44" wide wood file for cheap, but I don't want it if it's not going to be good for my prints.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Wow thanks for bumping this. If true I might not continue the search for a wooden flat file....unless I was to build one myself with hardwoods. Will keep my eyes on this thread in case more information surfaces.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 am

Any information on this? Wanted to post in the Texas flat files thread, but not really the right place. Might have to if this one stays dormant.

Pretty much what are the thoughts on storing prints in a wooden flat file...oak or other hardwood? Would lining the drawers help or is metal the best way to go, even though my not be aesthetically up our alley?
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
lsmith55
Art Expert

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm

appletree wrote:Any information on this? Wanted to post in the Texas flat files thread, but not really the right place. Might have to if this one stays dormant.

Pretty much what are the thoughts on storing prints in a wooden flat file...oak or other hardwood? Would lining the drawers help or is metal the best way to go, even though my not be aesthetically up our alley?
Wood is better. As long as its real wood and not the particle board garbage you are good. I looked at metal flat files, but I much prefer my setup not look like a 1970's Russian office.