A D.I.Y. frame Project for my Converge/Horkey

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
clem99
EB Team

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 pm

one of the best threads last year
art is the only justification for pain :)
greasy
Art Expert

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:00 pm

clem99 wrote:one of the best threads last year
hell yea. and the best frame job of the year, hands down.

clem, new yearly EB award??????
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/
tourist504
Art Expert

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 pm

This is the first I'm seeing of this thread. :shock:

Big up yaself. :clap:

Respek. :notworthy:
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
Anville
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:20 am

Bump. This took me an hour to read, and enjoyed every minute of it. Awesome work all around, man.
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:09 am

wow, a true master craftsman. You should be framing originals in those frames, not just signed prints! Most beautiful frame I've ever seen.
Tapecat
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:01 am

Wow thanks for the continued interest. :oops:

I had forgotten all about this thread.

I had to go with the white mats,(That burgundy sure does look GOOD though!) it was just over my meager budget to go with anything else.
Heck I framed it myself for cost reasons to begin with.

I'll be framing my Emek Wakarusa coming up.
I would have done it sooner but other work and Renovating my Bath took a whiiiiile.
Then there was the Scratchboard show I'm in, and shows coming up.....
I have the kitchen to work on next but I am going to squeak this in the second my shop warms up.(SOON)

Now that I KNOW what the over sized mats cost I'll be going Mat-less for the Emek.
It's is going to be a Mahogany & hand Hammered & Patina Copper Frame.

Here's a preview

Since everyone liked this one I'll post a D.I.Y. of the Emek when it comes time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 am

Tapecat wrote: It's is going to be a Mahogany & hand Hammered & Patina Copper Frame.

Here's a preview

Since everyone liked this one I'll post a D.I.Y. of the Emek when it comes time.
Dam...
this is gonna be sweet

Out of interest, has Mark Ryden ever contacted you? I have seen some pretty speccy frames in his gallery shows. I bet the work you do would interest him greatly.

Keep em coming TC
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
Tapecat
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:24 am

comical_imbalance wrote:
Dam...
this is gonna be sweet

Out of interest, has Mark Ryden ever contacted you? I have seen some pretty speccy frames in his gallery shows. I bet the work you do would interest him greatly.

Keep em coming TC
Thanks I can't wait to start this!!!

Ryden no....I WISH!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:47 pm

Did you finish the Converge frame job? If so, how about posting some pictures of the final product.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fluffhead
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Codeblue wrote:Did you finish the Converge frame job? If so, how about posting some pictures of the final product.
page 8 has pics that I think he decided to go with. amazing work in here, can't wait to see the Wakarusa job
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Can't wait to see another thread like this. Just curious--where did you learn your craft?
You are not only extremely talented, but I imagine it takes extreme patience to follow through with even one of these frame projects. There are just so many steps that it would drive me nuts just thinking ahead to them all. It's very inspiring to me in terms of art projects I have lined up.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:25 pm

clem99 wrote:one of the best threads last year
without a doubt.
RITFW
Art Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Codeblue wrote:Did you finish the Converge frame job? If so, how about posting some pictures of the final product.
Bump!
billthebassist
Art Expert

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:34 am

That was a fantastic read. Thanks for taking the time to post and explain that project. My God you have skills Tapecat. :notworthy: You sound like you have a busy schedule with other projects, but, after this one, I'm sure you can start one hell of a successful custom frame operation. Thanks again for sharing. I can't wait to see more of your DIYs.

Just curious though: Do you listen to Converge? I get the sense you're a mellow dude. :)
Tapecat
Art Expert

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks for the comments folks!!
Did you finish the Converge frame job? If so, how about posting some pictures of the final product.
Yes, & I'd love to but right now it's wrapped in plastic and put away. The Bath remodel I did caused an insane amount of filth & my studio is in the next room.
It's a 100 year old house and I tore EVERYTHING out, down to the studs. Coal burning heaters make a HUGE mess even 50 years later.
Plus I'm gonna pull all the plaster in my studio & sleeping porch in the next week or so and replace it with Drywall.
We had really bad storm damage to the roof and the ceiling fell in on the porch, so it's time.
Just curious--where did you learn your craft?
Mostly I just GO FOR IT.....but
I'm a third generation Carpenter & I was finger painting on my Mommas belly the second I popped out.
Just curious though: Do you listen to Converge? I get the sense you're a mellow dude.
Well how mellow can one be when ya got a 10 RB a day Habit?!?!?!?! :lol:
Seriously, I have listened to them quite a bit.

But it's an occasional thing definitely NOT my daily diet.

Lemme add that I could give a rats ass about the band on this poster really, it's Aarons work that I'm gaga over.
but, after this one, I'm sure you can start one hell of a successful custom frame operation
Well one might think that however the reality of it, is a whole other story.
Most of the time folks who contact me get sticker shock and that's the end of it.
Really how much would you charge for a frame that takes 200 hrs. of labor, cuts and Sweat??????Not including the planning and design I put into it.
$500??? ohhhh$2.50 an hour. Well I guess that'll feed the pooches at any rate :roll: :lol:

So I just don't push it.
When I get contacted by someone who's serious things work out well and I've never had a complaint, EVER.
For the Hobby Lobby, Jo-Anns, Michaels, Am. Frame crowd my stuff is just too much $$$

In the mean time...I'll stick with commisions and stuff for the Artwork I do.