Help with print size 18x24, but larger

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
zdues

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:59 pm

Newbie question: Help!
I recently purchased an 18x24" poster that I want to frame.
While flattening it out, I double checked the size to find that it is 18" wide(exact) x 24 1/16" Tall.
Poster run information calls out the sizing as 18" x 24".

Is this considered a miscut from the original print run?

My plan was to put this in an existing 18x24 frame, but if I do that the print will not fit or have waves from being too tight.
Also am concerned that if I put it in my portfolio, the extra 1/16" of paper will stick out and is more likely to get damaged.

Questions: Am I stuck with getting a new custom frame for this print, or do I dare getting the poster trimmed down the 1/16" to make the size the original intended dimensions?
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:09 pm

I'd try to see if it fits in either frame or portfolio even with the slight issue.. Not every original print run is cut consistently or exactly - some entire runs for a print can be slightly off, it's not uncommon. If you'd like to get it trimmed then that's fine, there's risk to either screwing it up or making it an issue on resale but if you wanna frame it up, it's your art and might as well enjoy it.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:20 pm

See my posts in the Obey thread on pages 2124 and 2125 talking about this exact thing.

It’s not a “miscut”, per se, and likely the whole run is like that.

On the topic, I have never seen a largely discounted print because it was trimmed 1/16”and that is still to “specs”. Likely, if it was trimmed properly and not by a donkey with scissors, unless the guy states the print was trimmed, no one will ever know. While it would be completely fair and good form to disclose when selling a print that was “trimmed”, I would think it happens more often than people think and likely a few prints around that were cut a bit to make fit. In my mind, I don’t see why anyone would care if it was done properly.

Consider that it is probably a poster that is highly unlikely to ever cost tens of thousands of dollars and make you financially rich. I’d give it a cut (properly), throw it in that frame of yours, and slap it to the wall.

You will also see a larger discount on that damaged 1/16 (probably more) of an edge after you store it like that in your portfolio and then try to sell it.

Lastly, the “original intended dimensions” included 24 inches, not 24 1/16.

Good luck.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Buy a bigger frame.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:23 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:21 pm
Buy a bigger frame.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 am

^ That’ll work too.

What’s the print anyway?