Shipping flat

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:54 pm

So who has sound advice on doing flat shipping. It seems that 50% of all single posters that were shipped to me flat got bent along the way. I would like to find and easy and cost effective formula to doing flat shipping.
Foreverdrunk
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:46 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:So who has sound advice on doing flat shipping. It seems that 50% of all single posters that were shipped to me flat got bent along the way. I would like to find and easy and cost effective formula to doing flat shipping.
I have received flat stuff before.. First are the posters too big? small??

I allways got them with two hard cardboard.. and the smaller ones with the cardboard they came along with a«some buble plastci inside a envelope or so...
Space for rent. Please pm/email me. Thanks
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:49 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:So who has sound advice on doing flat shipping. It seems that 50% of all single posters that were shipped to me flat got bent along the way. I would like to find and easy and cost effective formula to doing flat shipping.
I just got a Jay Ryan shipped flat (not from Jay) that was wrecked on the corner. I've shipped flat and have never had a problem. I know the Leia poster has been getting beat up pretty bad. The way I do it (probably not the most cost effective)...I basically make a large baseball card sleeve out of plexiglass/plastic. Place the poster between the two pieces, tape on 4 sides, wrap in bubble wrap and place in large envelope. Most people appreciate spending a little extra to make sure the poster gets there in once piece.
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:51 pm

er code blue wrote:
I just got a Jay Ryan shipped flat (not from Jay) that was wrecked on the corner. I've shipped flat and have never had a problem. I know the Leia poster has been getting beat up pretty bad. The way I do it (probably not the most cost effective)...I basically make a large baseball card sleeve out of plexiglass/plastic. Place the poster between the two pieces, tape on 4 sides, wrap in bubble wrap and place in large envelope. Most people appreciate spending a little extra to make sure the poster gets there in once piece.
Hard core.

But...it's blue, so that makes sense.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:18 pm

Yeah... Andy ships like no one else. Except maybe that EMEK PJ I got from overseas but that thing would have taken a tank rolling over it!

Anyway, I try and make sure that any flat prints I ship (very infrequently) are inside of another packaging material (thin cardboard, poly bags) and then lightly taped on the edges. Then wrapped and put in the larger board sleeving. Works pretty well. I was a little frightened when I saw Leia's prints arrival, but mine were really undamaged - just a little ding on one side and I'll take that just fine (pretty sure that they'll be entirely flat in a few days). But man is that print amazing... can't wait to frame and hang it!
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:24 pm

Yamar wrote: Leia's prints arrival, but mine were really undamaged - just a little ding on one side and I'll take that just fine (pretty sure that they'll be entirely flat in a few days). But man is that print amazing... can't wait to frame and hang it!
Agreed. I liked it when it was a gig poster but I love it as an art print.

She still had some left, I think, as of this afternoon. I ordered a couple more and she confirmed.\

Get 'em while you can folks.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:15 pm

Could only afford a pair and can't really get any more - it already cost me getting Alex's most recent offering... but they are amazing!
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:28 pm

Yamar wrote:Could only afford a pair and can't really get any more - it already cost me getting Alex's most recent offering... but they are amazing!
Yeah, I'll get an ass chewin' once my wife finds out how much I spent on stuff this week.

Oh, well.

Hey! All right! I just found a beer I opened an hour ago. Now it's just the right temp.

Cheers!!
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:56 pm

Yeah, I got kinda ditched by the woman tonight - she's working on some stuff cause we're hitting the Renaissance Fair on Sunday along with a pair of her students - alwyas a fun day (but the three of them are dressing up too - should be a kick!) So I enter some art, doing some framing experiments at AF, should get a drink going, scope out some new CPU parts maybe...
Foreverdrunk
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:40 am

I will take one of leia's art poster for free please as i dont have 35 usd to bought it..
Space for rent. Please pm/email me. Thanks
morst
EB Team

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:54 pm

I ship flat using Postal Priority supplies for items up to 20" tall. I will find the photos I took and post them some time. I use about 6 USPS priority box #7 and 2 of the 1097's to stiffen when I ship a Dylan "baseball card" poster- 14 x 20 on card stock.

The innermost part of the package is the poster wrapped in brown paper, and the brown paper is taped at the 4 corners to one of the #7 flat boxes. A second flat #7 box is placed on top of the brown paper/poster and the edges of that are taped to the edges of the first flat #7 box. Then I take 4 MORE #7 boxes and two smaller 1095's and make a sandwitch using two new #7's for each "bun" the 1095's as "garnish" and the innermost poster-holding Double #7 pack as the "main ingredient" if you can picture that. Hmm, nice analogy tom, maybe break for lunch!?!

basically, I use un-setup boxes as layers of cardboard to keep the inner flat pack safe, and I stiffen that with smaller boxes, also not set up. Tape the hell out of the edges and also across the top and bottom in a + shape. Ask CPO how my flat shipments arrive, I sent him some secret santa stuff last winter in a typical flat.

i have had ONE of these get messed up enough for a recipient to mention it, and that was the ONE time I forgot to add the "garnish" to stiffen the pack, and the whole thing folded right down the center where the flat #7's have less support. The other thing to watch is that the innermost two boxes should have their seams facing outwards so that they don't leave an impression on the print.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
marshhouse
Art Expert

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:11 pm

morst wrote:
I ship flat using Postal Priority supplies for items up to 20" tall. I will find the photos I took and post them some time. I use about 6 USPS priority box #7 and 2 of the 1097's to stiffen when I ship a Dylan "baseball card" poster- 14 x 20 on card stock.

The innermost part of the package is the poster wrapped in brown paper, and the brown paper is taped at the 4 corners to one of the #7 flat boxes. A second flat #7 box is placed on top of the brown paper/poster and the edges of that are taped to the edges of the first flat #7 box. Then I take 4 MORE #7 boxes and two smaller 1095's and make a sandwitch using two new #7's for each "bun" the 1095's as "garnish" and the innermost poster-holding Double #7 pack as the "main ingredient" if you can picture that. Hmm, nice analogy tom, maybe break for lunch!?!

basically, I use un-setup boxes as layers of cardboard to keep the inner flat pack safe, and I stiffen that with smaller boxes, also not set up. Tape the hell out of the edges and also across the top and bottom in a + shape. Ask CPO how my flat shipments arrive, I sent him some secret santa stuff last winter in a typical flat.

i have had ONE of these get messed up enough for a recipient to mention it, and that was the ONE time I forgot to add the "garnish" to stiffen the pack, and the whole thing folded right down the center where the flat #7's have less support. The other thing to watch is that the innermost two boxes should have their seams facing outwards so that they don't leave an impression on the print.
My, what a tasty sounding sandwich.

Talk about getting enough fibre in your diet.

Good packing tips.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:13 pm

I would like to see the photos. I am looking for a nice cheap way to send small items (<=9x12) flat. When sending out 20-100 prints, time is a really big deal and so is cost. Yet, prints this size are not suitible for tubes.

For example, I sent out some 4x6 prints this week. The print sale price is hardly the value of a nice EB tube combined with the postage it brings with it. $8 shipping is overkill for a $5 print. I was able to ship them in CD bubble packing and at a first class rate which is about 10-20% of the tube cost. But I don't have a lot of confidence in that method. I will find out I guess.

more weight = more postage. more protection usually means more weight. at what point does it make sense? there has to be a better way.
mmotorcycle
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:02 am

Did you look at how the EB prints that I sent you were packaged? No one is going to bend those and it is free. I collect boxes from behind businesses and cut them up to make shipping boxes. Lay your wrapped posters on a big flat piece of the cardboard and cut just a little larger than double the size. Fold it in half over the posters. Then I cut pieces that will fit on all four sides and creasing each piece twice so that it just slips over the edges. Then I tape the hell out of it. I usually cut pieces to fit in the middle in case they try stabbing it. I should draw a diagram, this sounds confusing..
Meow
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:43 am

Yes, you did a fine job and that level of effort is needed for shippign bulk prints. But when you are going one at a time, just carving the cardboard is a major pain.