How do I properly store posters?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
augustwest123
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:43 pm

I have quite a few posters (50-75). Most of them are stored in the tubes they came in.
There has to be a better way to store them rather than rolled in the tube.
I'd like to store them flat.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:18 pm

There are storage units called flat files. These allow you to store the print flat with lttle trouble. However, they can be expensive depending on the model you choose. I could price them to you - I don't know how competitive I'd be.

Here's my current low cost alternative.

When I purchase mylar sleeves I use the box as my storage unit. The box is usually pretty sturdy as I order about 10-15 sleeves at a time from Atlantic Protective Pouches. I then place the box where it won't get banged around. Right now they are on top of a couple sawhorses.

Store in a low humidity area that has a fairly constant temperature.

I'm sure there will be other advice to follow.

I'm relatively new to collecting and I'm frugal.
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:18 pm

Go here, and bring lots of money...
http://www.expressobeans.com/howto/storage/
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:50 pm

Hey, wait a minute, I recognize that name :) AugustWest probably isnt a widely used nicname. SHNapster? Maybe 2 or 3 years ago? Was that you?
augustwest123
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:03 pm

nope wasn't me. Thanks for the info tho.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:20 am

I got tired of looking at the costs of flat-files and I'm a carpenter by trade, so I just built myself a nice simple hardwood storage unit. Foam lined and sealed to high hell, then I've got my prints bagged (and half boarded - I'll do more when I can). Bad thing is that my collection keeps growing so now I have to build another one (will only cost me $30-50 so that's not bad) cause I'm out of room. But it's working great!
marshhouse
Art Expert

Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:27 am

Yamar wrote:I got tired of looking at the costs of flat-files and I'm a carpenter by trade, so I just built myself a nice simple hardwood storage unit. Foam lined and sealed to high hell, then I've got my prints bagged (and half boarded - I'll do more when I can). Bad thing is that my collection keeps growing so now I have to build another one (will only cost me $30-50 so that's not bad) cause I'm out of room. But it's working great!
You got a set of plans for that baby, Norm?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:51 am

Not a hard copy, but I can do a more realistic set if someone's wanting. Did mine with some red oak and birch luan for panels. You'll want/need a table saw, mitre/chop saw, and a router (and sanders, of course) to do it the way I did, but it wasn't too hard. LMK if you want me to dig up the drawings and materials list again and I can try to re-copy for those interested. Might be able to get some quick pix of the one I have as well.
augustwest123
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:03 pm

Yamar~
Some plans and/or pics of the storage unit would be great! I am a carpenter myself, and I was debating on building one, but didn't know exactly what I needed.
Thanks!
marshhouse
Art Expert

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:14 pm

Yamar wrote:Not a hard copy, but I can do a more realistic set if someone's wanting. Did mine with some red oak and birch luan for panels. You'll want/need a table saw, mitre/chop saw, and a router (and sanders, of course) to do it the way I did, but it wasn't too hard. LMK if you want me to dig up the drawings and materials list again and I can try to re-copy for those interested. Might be able to get some quick pix of the one I have as well.
I have 2/3 the tools and can rent the router/sanders. Please share your plans.

Question.

I heard wood flat files weren't the best for some reason. Anybody know why? I'd probably still have everything in mylar if it's an acid issue.
I mean for $30 this is gonna be hard to justify not doing.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:52 am

Everything I've read/seen/heard says that it's the possible acidity that makes wood and sealers to not be the best for long term storage.
So after constructing my case (using red oak and birch luaun), I stained very lightly and sealed with 3 coats of poly (no varnish). Poly doesn't really off-gas much, but I still let it sit for about a month before incurring storage in case. It also is almost entirely interior lined with lightweight thin foam padding. And I still keep everything in mylar or poly bags and about half have their acid-free backings too - I figure it should be just fine for at least 10 years or so :)
I'll try and get together a drawing or something of what I've put together and maybe some pics of the box as well - it's no super work of art (I suck at painting and staining anything) but more than gets the job done and currently holds at least 50 prints with ease. Might have an option on an easy and free flat file though so we'll see about that too...
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:51 pm

You could go the Frank Kozik route....posters in cardboard boxes with brown paper between them. I bought a 14 year old poster from Frank stored under his bed like this....perfect condition.

I only store my expensive stuff in mylar....because it's otherwise overrated in my opinion. Unless you are a complete slob or live centrally located to the equator with 100% humidity in your house. Go to DickBlick.com and get yourself some acid free boxes. Cost about $20. The posters are all printed on acid free stock these days. So if your prints touch they should be fine. I've seen Toulouse Lautrec posters stored for 50 years in brown paper in fine condition. The only breakdown evident in them was due to the poor quality paper they were printed on....not due to storage.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:00 pm

Yeah, but my box actually will let you store prints on edge - the box can be put upright and put basically anywhere. I use the bags for a bit of extra edge and corner protection and face cushioning.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:52 pm

er code blue wrote: The only breakdown evident in them was due to the poor quality paper they were printed on....not due to storage.
Storing prints on buffered material can actually reduce acisity of a print and protect it from its own self inflicted harm.
mmotorcycle
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:00 am

I stick all of mine in a folder and just hope for the best (not the ones I print of course)
I pulled out a couple of coop prints that I have had rolled up since 1994 and they are in perfect condition. I have them flattening right now.
Meow