Where can you get good mylar sleeves?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:16 pm

rhombus_77 wrote:
wandering-gypsy wrote:A new source I've used with excellent products - Conservation Resources. The thick sleeves are bomb proof.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Ma ... efault.htm

I buy 'em with archival inserts.
They come flat in a thick flat box - good for storage. They also throw in extras ...
how the hell do you find things there? Info overload...brain exploding...
they've got 24" x 30" dropfront boxes! :P
justbehmh
Art Expert

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:04 am

no doubt about overload. Please explain which ones you got that come with the box? Also what is the difference between polyester and mylar sleeves?
jjbehren
Flipper

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:48 am

I copied and pasted this from my posts on BRY last June in response to Emek's suggestion he posted on his site a while back:
Emek wrote:"Need Print sleeves? Acid free sleeves to store your art? Been buying from these guys for years, good stuff- and CHEAP!: http://www.jordanspecialty.com (click on Print Sleeves: Acid Free")
jjbehren wrote:Yesterday I placed an order with http://www.jordanspecialty.com for the 30"x40" acid free sleeves. Minimum order is 12.

They told me that these are mylar. I'll let you know about quality when I get them. They said I should see them in about a week.
That was June 14, 2007. Then on July 10th I posted:
jjbehren wrote:Update Regarding Jordan:

I ordered 12 30"x40" acid-free sleeves and boards from Jordan on June 11th. I received them yesterday, July 9. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the transaction.

1) When I ordered they told me they'd have them out in a week. They did not leave their facility until July 5 (although they did send a UPS tracking email, which was nice I guess).

2) I called about the status of my order on June 27th and they told me, "Your order went out yesterday." Obviously it didn't. After waiting a week I called again and they accurately told me that it was going out that afternoon (July 5th).

3) They charged me $9.50 per sleeve when the website and the guy I ordered from said $9. I'm not going to complain too much about $6.00, especially since they only charged $18 for shipping, which I feel is reasonable considering the size and weight of these things. It's still annoying though.

4) They screwed up my order. They sent 11 of the acid-free sleeves and 1 of the regular sleeves. To their credit, they're sending me a single sleeve to make the order right. Allegedly this is going out today. We'll see.

5) The product: I think it's a pretty good product. The edges are all double-stitched with vinyl edging. I guess I'd rather have heat sealed like the mylar from bagsunlimited, but the double-stitched edging is OK. Seems well done. The backing boards are not the .040 Buffered, Acid Free Board that bagsunlimited has either and I'm a little nervous about them. They are corrugated Polypropylene. What makes me nervous is the tendency of corrugated materials to crease, especially considering the size of these things and the value of some of the stuff going into them.

Overall, for the price the product is pretty good considering they come with the boards. The customer service leaves something to be desired though.

Any questions feel free to PM me.
So here's an update for EB. 1) I am still very happy with the sleeves and haven't had any issues regarding the corrugated backing boards; 2) I still have not received a replacement for the one sleeve they screwed up, even after bugging them about it late last year, I just kind of gave up; 3) I think I'm actually going to order these again (and hope they throw in an extra for free to make up for their mistake last time.

Long story short: Jordan Specialty Supply - pretty good product, great price, horrible customer service.

Good luck.
justbehmh
Art Expert

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 am

JJ. The boards go inside th bags, correct?
jjbehren
Flipper

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 pm

justbehmh wrote:JJ. The boards go inside th bags, correct?
Yes...but I'd say with mylar they're more like sleeves than bags.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:56 pm

rhombus_77 wrote:
wandering-gypsy wrote:A new source I've used with excellent products - Conservation Resources. The thick sleeves are bomb proof.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Ma ... efault.htm

I buy 'em with archival inserts.
They come flat in a thick flat box - good for storage. They also throw in extras ...
how the hell do you find things there? Info overload...brain exploding...
CR provides a lot of supplies and tools to museums and conservators - not just sleeves so the catalog is thick. Sorry! I forgot .....

Anyway, the sleeves I use are not for everyone - they're not cheap. But, they are bombroof and they won't bend unless you go nuts on it. I use the two largest sleeves with inserts when I need to transport over-large posters around.

I also use the microchamber inserts for old woodblock prints. This some good sheet.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Ma ... n11_02.htm
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:38 am

Bump for good info.