How to properly roll a poster?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby raven77 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 pm

How to properly roll a poster so that I may store it in a tube for transport? Sometimes I roll it well, but other times I don't. I wan't to be able to consistently roll it properly so that no damage occurs to the print. I just need to refresh my memory, that's all. If you could tell me how or if you have a link to a good video, that would be great. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by raven77 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raven77

Postby Codeblue on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I recommend rolling it instead.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby raven77 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Codeblue wrote:I recommend rolling it instead.

Sorry, I'm dumb. rolling it was exactly what I meant. I edited this post thanks to you.
raven77

Postby geezer on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:57 pm

geezer
Art Expert

Postby downforcemedia on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 pm

You have to rock n' roll it baby!
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view

Postby jjttdw on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 pm

The link above has bad advice. Tape the print/craft paper roll toa diamter smaller that in interior of the tube. Letting it unroll in the tube is a hack move.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby turnJBup on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Sometimes it helps if you use two pieces of craft paper... with the poster in the middle of course.
turnJBup
Art Expert

Postby downforcemedia on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 pm

jjttdw wrote:The link above has bad advice. Tape the print/craft paper roll toa diamter smaller that in interior of the tube. Letting it unroll in the tube is a hack move.

This.
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view

Postby fallstaff on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 am

downforcemedia wrote:
jjttdw wrote:The link above has bad advice. Tape the print/craft paper roll toa diamter smaller that in interior of the tube. Letting it unroll in the tube is a hack move.

This.

seconded
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Postby raven77 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am

downforcemedia wrote:

This.

Could you explain why?
raven77

Postby electrachrome on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

jjttdw wrote:The link above has bad advice. Tape the print/craft paper roll to a diameter smaller that in interior of the tube. Letting it unroll in the tube is a hack move.

it was the 'industry standard' approach 15 years ago when this site was started. I agree it needs to be updated. rolling and taping the craft paper a bit smaller than the diameter tube gives added protection if the tube gets dented in transit/shipping.
electrachrome
EB Team

Postby jjttdw on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 am

electrachrome wrote:
jjttdw wrote:The link above has bad advice. Tape the print/craft paper roll to a diameter smaller that in interior of the tube. Letting it unroll in the tube is a hack move.

it was the 'industry standard' approach 15 years ago when this site was started. I agree it needs to be updated. rolling and taping the craft paper a bit smaller than the diameter tube gives added protection if the tube gets dented in transit/shipping.

I will add that when the roll is taped it hold the print in place. If the roll is bigger then the print has a greater chance of sliding in the craft paper. This is what happened to a print I received 2 weeks ago. 3 inch tube with the print wrapped in the Obey paper but not re-taped. The print slid and the corner got dinged. You can actually see a corresponding dent in the craft paper. Hack move.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Return to Art Care