Adhesive pad on back of wood panel

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
roguevariant

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Recently purchased a piece from a gallery. Painting on a stained wood panel. The gallery stuck a business card with the artist's name, the title of the piece, the dimensions, and the sale price to the back of the piece with some type of ahesive pad. This is the first piece of this type that I've bought, so looking for input. Should I attempt to remove the card, or leave it be? If I were to try to remove it, how best to go about it without damaging the surface? Obviously the back of the panel is not as crucial as the front, but I'd prefer to avoid leaving damage if possible.

EDIT: I guess on a related note, what's the general feeling about sticking stuff to the back of a piece like this? Silicone pads for hanging, for example. Would I be better off sticking some felt or silicone to the wall behind where it will hang?
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:56 am

For what it's worth, having watched a bunch of PBS Antique Roadshow, the appraisers always seem delighted to find original tags and labels on the back of artwork which helps them to establish provenance and other evaluative details.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 am

Reminds me of nubs who complain about stray ink marks on the back of screen prints.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
roguevariant

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

I spoke to a friend who works in a museum, and she concurred - leave it alone.

As for putting pads on the back, she said that should probably be fine. But I think I'm going to put a layer or two of acid-free tape between them and the surface, rather than trusting the adhesive that comes on the pads. Just to be on the safe side.
mlinderer
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 am

Related question... i recently picked up a painting on masonite panel that I want to frame. I'd like to have it floated so I would need some means to affix it to something behind it. What material should be used to do this?