Clear Top For A Flat File

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
WrimWramWrom
New User

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 am

Hello all!

I have grand, marvelous, slow to materialize plans for my flat file. I finally figured out a good way to attach casters to it in a non-invasive way, and have done so successfully. This flat file does have a removable lid, and I'd like to replace it with a clear top to display whatever is in the top drawer, and I'd like to do so without compromising the ability to use the lid if I ever wanted to do so. My main issue, and question, is what to use for a top? It's a somewhat large flat tile (47" x 35" approx.), and I have cats. I have a feeling tempered glass is the best way to go, but wondering if there are any translucent, shatter and abrasion resistant plastics that might work well instead. I've seen some materials, but they tend to be advertised as a way to frame artwork, or to even print directly onto, or to use as a table top PROTECTOR, not as the table top itself. I appreciate any input anyone may have about this. Thanks in advance!

Steve(n)
golobulus
Art Expert

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm

This site seems informative:

https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-table-tops

Post a picture when you are done... which print gets the top drawer?
WrimWramWrom
New User

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm actually looking for alternatives to tempered glass, if there are any viable ones. The top print? Well, that's why I want this, so I can rotate them :)