Insure Your Art Collection

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby andyfarrimond on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:24 am

xangelx wrote:I use collectinsure, sign up was easy, premium was reasonable from others I looked at it. Luckily I guess I have not had to file a claim so can't speak as to how that would go. But as with any other kind of insurance I would expect that they will try to drymount you any chance they get.


I use Collectinsure, I've had 2 claims for items destroyed by the USPS and they have been amazing to work with. Claims paid quickly and with very little fuss, both were fairly low value items around $100 or so. Really happy with every aspect of their service to date.
andyfarrimond
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 am

brewdog123 wrote:not sure i would want to hold on to all my drop receipts or paypal receipts. might be slightly depressing


and dangerous if the wife is not in the know on how much you spend on paper...
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am
Location: Houston, TX
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby sendit2d on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm

andyfarrimond wrote:
xangelx wrote:I use collectinsure, sign up was easy, premium was reasonable from others I looked at it. Luckily I guess I have not had to file a claim so can't speak as to how that would go. But as with any other kind of insurance I would expect that they will try to drymount you any chance they get.


I use Collectinsure, I've had 2 claims for items destroyed by the USPS and they have been amazing to work with. Claims paid quickly and with very little fuss, both were fairly low value items around $100 or so. Really happy with every aspect of their service to date.


This is good to hear. How did they determine the value of the items destroyed by the USPS, by the sale price (if you were shipping them for a sale)?
User avatar
sendit2d
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Postby lcsproductions on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Does Insurance cover replacement value?

I thought insurance only covered what you paid for something - not what it grew to be worth -
I can see them paying out the prices listed on a receipt or invoice in a claim but not replacement cost.

Can someone elaborate
Thanks
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Here and There
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.

Postby brewdog123 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
brewdog123 wrote:not sure i would want to hold on to all my drop receipts or paypal receipts. might be slightly depressing


and dangerous if the wife is not in the know on how much you spend on paper...

ha ha...ug
User avatar
brewdog123
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:43 pm
Location: ATL

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:25 pm

lcsproductions wrote:Does Insurance cover replacement value?

I thought insurance only covered what you paid for something - not what it grew to be worth -
I can see them paying out the prices listed on a receipt or invoice in a claim but not replacement cost.

Can someone elaborate
Thanks


In most cases you can pay to insure at original cost or replacement value, with replacement value being more expensive. It's really dependent on the company. On super pricey art (Monet, Picasso, Jackson Pollock), the owners get appraisals for current worth and they are insured it for that price. On the type of artwork we are talking about, aside from maybe Banksy pieces, I wouldn't think they would be insuring individual pieces, but rather the whole collection.
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am
Location: Houston, TX
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Previous

Return to Art Care



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest