Picture lights...

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:39 am

I'm considering buying some picture lights to illuminate some of the higher end pieces in my collection. Have any of you used them? Any idea what types of bulbs are safest to use? I am also thinking of going with the battery operated kind since some of the prints I want to use them on are nowhere near an outlet. Has anyone used the battery operated ones? Is it worth it? Whats the battery life? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:41 pm

Hi there, I just recently had some rack lighting installed at my house to showcase 2 or 3 prints. I know track lighting doesn't have the best name in lighting, but considering the circumstances it was the best fit for my situation. I have some frames with UV-protected glass to protect the art, although I only have Hatch Show Prints and they are made from block printing with heavy paint, so fading is not a huge issue.

I do get a bit of reflection from the hot spots in the lights, although I have the track hooked up to a dimmer switch so that I can vary the amount of light on the prints. I tried the glare free glass and just couldn't take the surface look, so regular glass it is. Another option would be regressed lighting with a swivel light blub, they can usually get a good flood look at about 30 degree angles.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:20 pm

I actually got lucky and the apartment I moved into in January has a couple of recessed cans in the living room. I think it's the extreme angle of them that helps most, but I managed to have a nail right in one's path (it is an accomplishment since it's in a stone wall) and I've got Jay Ryan's Hum - Downward Is Heavenward print up there now. Can post some pics if you're interested.
However, for your situation I think that track lights would likely be worth looking into - lots of options/adjustability and especially for the price.
Tra la la la la...
dougr
Site Admin

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Yamar wrote:Can post some pics if you're interested.
yes please! :mrgreen:
marshhouse
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:56 pm

I think Todd might be asking more about something like this:

Or maybe one that mounts directly on the frame.

I haven't used them. However, I suggest using something with an LED light for two or three reasons. First, they are great for battery life. I had an LED flashlight I tested for a company. I turned it on and left it on....twenty days later is was still going strong enough to read by. Secondly, the light emitted from LED is more like natural sunlight than any other type of lamp/bulb. Finally, an LED is very hard to "break" through shock or other vibration. Also they take a long long time to expire.

If you get them let me know how they work out cause I have a similar situation.

Cheers.
Bacon is love.
tragicboots

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Sorry I know this post was quite a few years back but I wondering if anyone knew which kind of light bulbs were best for pictures? LED? Incandescent? Fluorescent? I don't even know the difference
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 05, 2015 12:44 pm

tragicboots wrote:Sorry I know this post was quite a few years back but I wondering if anyone knew which kind of light bulbs were best for pictures? LED? Incandescent? Fluorescent? I don't even know the difference
If you want light which won't harm the art, LED is king. I believe all other light emit some kind of UV which damages the art (would take a very, very long time though, unless you have it turned on 24/7).