Fixing DINGED edges on posters... TRIM, IRON or LEAVE ALONE?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:30 pm

Yamar wrote:I felt that we were heading/adressing the question of "does a concert poster have to be used to advertise?" and also "which one is more 'legit' - the advertising piece or the show commemorative?" I'd be interested in hearing an answer to those from both of y'all at the Jeff n' Judy complex :)
The most purist way of thinking is that to be legit, the posters have to be used as advertisement. However, times have changed. Because the advertising posters became such a sought-after commodity, now you have bands commissioning work for merch that often never gets hung to advertise the show.

Jeff & I consider both of these legit, the only issue is whether the artist has the right to create a limited edtiion (or any edition) to sell with only a promoter's permission (something we have done at Drowning Creek).

Then there is lot art.... let me preface this with Jeff & I both have purchased lot art on many occasions, and we are good friends with several lot artists...... however, if there is any poster art that is not legit, technically it would have to be this. These are done with no commission at all.
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:58 pm

Theis thread has been quite good. Excellent points raised---so good in gact, that I need to think and digest them----and possible change some of my own opinions--.P
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:07 pm

I agree, this has been a great thread. I'm so happy, as someone who collects mainly posted stuff, I was extremely glad to hear that it wasn't seen as being sneaky and subversive, and potentially collecting stuff that won't be of any interest except to me. Thanks for the perspective from the artists' view that it's a compliment, which is exactly how I feel about it. The places I collect from are inevitably covered with lots of Kinko's copies and homemade printouts, but finding the silkscreen or block print or even nice digital print has a great satisfaction level; it's a lot like album hunting, finding that shiny needle in the haystack.
So, thanks I guess.
Thanks much
BB

and just for fun:
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:24 pm

Bakedbeens wrote:I agree, this has been a great thread. I'm so happy, as someone who collects mainly posted stuff, I was extremely glad to hear that it wasn't seen as being sneaky and subversive, and potentially collecting stuff that won't be of any interest except to me. Thanks for the perspective from the artists' view that it's a compliment, which is exactly how I feel about it. The places I collect from are inevitably covered with lots of Kinko's copies and homemade printouts, but finding the silkscreen or block print or even nice digital print has a great satisfaction level; it's a lot like album hunting, finding that shiny needle in the haystack.
So, thanks I guess.
Thanks much
BB
I "steal" screen prints when I see them hanging.

It is indeed a compliment.

:wink: