Fixing DINGED edges on posters... TRIM, IRON or LEAVE ALONE?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jenga
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:26 pm

I'm a UK collector and seeing that most posters i buy are from the US i get a few posters now and then which are a bit dinged up on the edges. Obviously there are ways of doing something about this.. just which way is the best???
Obviously it would be very easy to put it on my mount cutter and just trim a couple of mm of each side... i mean does that knock a huge amount of value off the poster??? Who bothers measuring every poster they own to the nearest mm??? Not that i'm wanting to con people but i wonder how much trimming actually goes on?? What about ironing on a low heat??? Advice would be appreciated.. and NO i haven't or don't really intend to start trimming my posters... i was just raising the topic.
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:27 pm

Things like that usually frame out in such a way that they are covered and cant be seen (unless you float the print). I leave mine alone and just put a note in my list on EB indicating the damage. If I frame it, no worries. If not, it stays in my portfolio as is. If I sell it I advise potential buyers of the problem. Personally I'd rather have an original size print with edge dings rather than one thats been cut by someone no matter how little was cut. Just my opinion though :)
marshhouse
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:36 pm

I wouldn't do a thing to them.

Mattes won't cover it up?
Bacon is love.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:39 pm

I wouldn't do a thing to 'em. Really, does it matter when you look at them? I'm actually starting to side with Rene more and more on these things, but edge and corner wear is bothering me less and less - it's all about the image itself!
And if you're framing, it won't matter.
On the downside of trimming, who's to say that you won't bump the corner again yourself in the future? And if you want to sell or trade a piece, won't you feel the want/need to be honest and tell whoever you're working the deal with about the trimming? Better to leave it as is first...
Tra la la la la...
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:00 pm

Do NOT trim it----it destroys value even more than fading. It is what it is. Ironing etc. does not work well. Flatten the edges gently then put it in a mylar [they help keep them the flattest. Phil
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:07 pm

I would NEVER trim a poster

stop being anal and enjoy the art

these are not stamps

so yeah,... what cushway just wrote I agree with
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:56 pm

great phrase: stop worrying and enjoy the art; they're not stamps---------sometimes I think that that would make a great tattoo------or giant billboard for collectors----sums it up beautifully, and most accurately; ....P
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 pm

Ok, quick hypothetical. What if I have posters that look good except for the fact that they were posted outside and received dew or rain damage. Is there a way to fix them, perhaps similar to putting a shirt on a hanger in the shower to steam it. Or is an iron at low setting workable. I don't know that much about inks, so input is appreciated.
:?
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:52 pm

Call me crazy, but I like posters that have been posted----that's what they are for. Admittedly, most collectors like the perfect ones----but there really is something to be said for the ones that were posted.P
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:27 pm

I'll grab any local ones that I have interest in (granted it's Ithaca, NY - not a huge market, but not bad for it's size) and I like the staple and tape feel on 'em. Yeah, I'll take the cleanest one I can but I've also got several battered ones in the portfolios - love those too. I've never heard of anything effectively work to de-wrinkle any paper product -- poster, book, magazine, etc.
Tra la la la la...
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:54 pm

this collecting thing...

it doesnt sound fun at all
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:08 pm

I agree. One of the things I do not like is now, how people act given their sometimes 'ridiculous' values. I realize that this may seem hypocritical as I am one of the ones who deliberately drove up their value [necessary to have them considered as art, if I may so in my own defense.], but it is, nonetheless how I feel.
Before the attraction was whether or not you like them--for what they are devoid from value..................
Then there was no cause for all of the theft and double-dealing that, at least, characterizes the older posters; people like: SFRock Posters, Pete Anderson [cactuspete] Fred Williams, Tim Duca, etc. etc........P.
whalaw
Site Admin

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:49 pm

I like the "posted" posters, too. It gives them character. In regards to the "double-dealing," unfortunately this occurs in any industry when it is perceived that lots of money could be made.
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:39 pm

Maybe I will go grab that colorful one for The Party In The Park today featuring AYWKUBTTOD (Trail of Dead). Should have yesterday, but there was some tape damage, but not to the main image.

That's too bad about the wrinkles not coming out of paper, but like you said, it adds character.

Also, I'd like to ask you guys, as artists, how do you feel about us collectors that take down posters. I usually try to wait until the day after the show, but sometimes I can't resist. I do make a point of only taking one or two and making sure there are others in the area that are still posted.

Still, I see a lot that slip thru my fingers, posted in windows, etc. Gotta get them duckets rollin again I guess. :wink:
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:58 pm

Take 'em--it's art.

Regarding value of not mint pieces. Fanatical, picky collectors nearly always want mint---and will pay a premium for them if they aren't cheaper than Scrooge. HOWever------ I once sold a previously posted Eyeball for over five thousand----it was in great shape, and was actually posted. I think that the value was equal to a mint copy /.

In my own collection I have a fair number of posted copies------at least you know they are first printings [as most people know, I have disagreements with Eric on printings----and he thinks I am wrong too , by the way]. If items could be certified to have actually been posted, to weed out the 'fakes', I think they are worth a good deal.

Also, collectability changes. For a while handbills were hot-and coold a bit after some stashes were found. No one, except myself, and to a lesser extent Jay, collected proof sheets and most derided the value I put on them. In the last 12 to 18 months this has changed. A 105/106 proof sheet is now worth ten grand plus, a trip or freak proof is worth the same if not more. A Hawaiian just went for over twenty [25?]. It's nuts. P