How to ship a small screen print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
everyone82
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm

jamel-d wrote:Wrap the print in craft paper. If you have a Mylar sleeve to cut down to size, put it in that first. Or tissue paper, like the artists do. Tape the packaged print to the Masonite at the four corners. Cut the Masonite at least an extra inch around each side, then tape the sandwich closed all around. Then wrap it in craft paper. If it fits in a prepaid mailer/box from the post office, use that.
Thank you very much. Hopefully my local Michaels has all this good stuff. Not sure where else near me woudl sell such items.
haven
Art Expert

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Any office supply store will have craft paper.

And instead of tracking down masonite you can just go to home depot, they sell heavy duty cardboard moving boxes for like $3 each, and cut those up for your packing sandwich. Two pieces of that on each side of your print, especially something as small as your shipping, is plenty strong enough.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:15 am

everyone82 wrote:Not sure where else near me woudl sell such items.
Home depot sells Masonite. Ask for 'tempered hardboard.' They can pre-cut for you as well. If you are going there for boxes anyways, might as well go the Masonite route. It is a lot easier than it sounds:
4.jpg
5.jpg
everyone82
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:25 pm

WolfBrewer wrote:
everyone82 wrote:Not sure where else near me woudl sell such items.
Home depot sells Masonite. Ask for 'tempered hardboard.' They can pre-cut for you as well. If you are going there for boxes anyways, might as well go the Masonite route. It is a lot easier than it sounds:
4.jpg
5.jpg

Thank you very much. And all you got over that print is plastic? Mylar sleeve? I know it sounds dumb, but I've looked before for basic sleeves and never found them. Where did you buy?

Appreciate all of this.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 am

everyone82 wrote:Thank you very much. And all you got over that print is plastic? Mylar sleeve? I know it sounds dumb, but I've looked before for basic sleeves and never found them. Where did you buy? Appreciate all of this.
Yep, mylar. If you don't have any on hand, probably your best bet:
oldgreg wrote:Hobby Lobby sells little art sleeves in the aisle with portfolios. Buy a pack of 8x10 sleeves and a couple boards of masonite and you're set