Selling Framed Prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mtl325
Art Enthusiast

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 am

I'm planning to sell an old Fairey print that seems to be in the $2k range. Major issue is that it is framed. I know people online don't like to purchase a framed print.

However, it's a gorgeous float mount on archival backing with IV glass. The framer is a very well respected custom framer and it cost $200+ in 2009.

What is your opinion on whether the frame wouldn't be a liability at a live auction? Is the reason why very few prints are sold framed online the shipping cost or concerns re: condition? Finally, would you recommend I bring it back to the framer to be safely removed before offering up for sale.
noweyesee
Art Expert

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 am

If yr talking ebay, probably unframe it. If you are doing a proper auction house, framed is probably preferred.
mtarail
Art Expert

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 am

mtl325 wrote:I'm planning to sell an old Fairey print that seems to be in the $2k range. Major issue is that it is framed. I know people online don't like to purchase a framed print.

However, it's a gorgeous float mount on archival backing with IV glass. The framer is a very well respected custom framer and it cost $200+ in 2009.

What is your opinion on whether the frame wouldn't be a liability at a live auction? Is the reason why very few prints are sold framed online the shipping cost or concerns re: condition? Finally, would you recommend I bring it back to the framer to be safely removed before offering up for sale.

IMO #1 is definitely condition issues. I've heard a number of stories on EB about tape being found on prints despite instructions otherwise. If your print is floated that concern is even greater. It would have been hinge mounted and depending on the framer's skill and the ingredients used in the hinge process, there may be some residue left on back of the print. The buyer risks that when he buys a framed print.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:26 am

I've sold a few framed prints and I usually just have FedEx pack it in one of their custom boxes. It costs a little bit more, but they assume all the liability if anything happens and it's also packed crazy-well.