Care of non archival paper prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
laplacz
New User

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello All - I have a question related to 3 pieces I just purchased...

I attended a gallery showing for a street artist whom is "Going legit" I purchased 3 signed "wheat pastes" Now, I understand that these are on non archival paper, but I really like one of the images and may get it framed.

Is there anything I can do to better care for these items as they are on non archival paper? Any and all comments or experiences are appreciated as this is my first experience with a "Non archival grade items"

Best

--Joe
matt925
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 am

laplacz wrote:Hello All - I have a question related to 3 pieces I just purchased...

I attended a gallery showing for a street artist whom is "Going legit" I purchased 3 signed "wheat pastes" Now, I understand that these are on non archival paper, but I really like one of the images and may get it framed.

Is there anything I can do to better care for these items as they are on non archival paper? Any and all comments or experiences are appreciated as this is my first experience with a "Non archival grade items"

Best

--Joe
How are the works affixed to the paper? If they are glued or in some other way stuck to the paper I would just frame that and figure it won't get any better. The damage over the years won't be that much and trying to remove it could be worse.
matt925
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:35 am

If these are just wheat pastes off the streets that aren't attached to anything I would also not do anything to alter them. Frame and enjoy, they won't break down any time soon and it's best to display as the artist intended.
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 am

Picasso drew on non archival paper and they haven't corroded yet . Paper does age and that'll probably happen
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
laplacz
New User

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies. The pieces I purchased were never "pasted" Soo just thin non archival paper. ready to be framed or stored

Thanks for the comments and the level set

--Joe
peacedog
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Using acid-free materials to frame it up will slow down the degradation considerably. You can use ArtCare Foamcore which is designed to trap impurities away from the art and slow the degradation as well. Keep it away from heat and bright light once it's framed up.