Anyone store foam core/mat? (Plug in Play)

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
VenomAT
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:23 pm

So my end goal is to be able to pull prints (18 X 24 max) that have put on foamcore with border mats out of custom frames, store them and put another in it's place. It's not ideal for preservation of art, but with limited storage and wall space I wanted to be able to switch in professionally mounted prints (for them to look really nice) and then store what I pull out in archival print protector with glassine paper.

Anyone ever try this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049 ... UTF8&psc=1
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:00 pm

A lot of members like Spotlight Displays for storing and rotating prints.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... t#p3330488
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 am

I work in a museum and the majority of our works on paper are matted and stored in solander cases (see the link below):

http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/museum-cases

And as much as we can, we try to mat the works in standard sizes and have a large inventory of standard sized frames (16x20, 22x28, 30x40, etc.). We typically use a 4 ply mat for both the backing and the mat. We don't use foam core for backing.

If you use a 4-ply backing (instead of Foam Core) you can probably store about 15 matted prints in a single Solander Box. I'll have to go into our storage and see exactly how many fit in a full box.
VenomAT
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Appreciate both responses.

CHR1S it is great to hear that this is a common practice. I bought four frames, (two for matted 18 x 24 and two 24 x 36) with this in mind, but stopped after the store convinced me to seal each one up for preservation sake. Fast forward 5 months later and I realize that unless the print is one I know I won't be changing (Strange Tings Print, Fitzgerald LOTR print that I just love) rotation is still my best option.

I bought 6 of those archival print protectors and finding them a huge pain in the rear and too much cost. Those boxes are exactly what I needed and should have picked up to start with, and probably will make a switch.

Last question, if I keep everything stored in a room that stays in the 60-75 degree temp range, with a flux of humidity, at what point and time do I risk damage to a print? If I can (might be tough) would ti be best to store in a 45-60 degree tempt basement? I know there will always be a risk, but the cost of some of my prints, versus the frame/glass cost, showing me I need to get a little more nimble on my choices.
VenomAT
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Another question came to mind. I have the normal piano wire on the back (or whatever it is called), at this time it looks like it needs to be pulled off each time I put a new print in, any suggestions to avoid having to keep drilling into the frame?
VenomAT
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Resurrecting my own post. Curious to thoughts of a basement in the 60 degree mark at around 70% humidity. I am now storing in both acid free portfolios as well as mounted prints sandwiched between card board and wax paper. I rotate the mounted prints in frames on a two month basis to keep a rotation while having limited wall space, and it's going great after working on a lot of tweaks in the process.

That being said I don't want to suffer on the print side down the line of my humidity and tempt set causes everything to warp over time.