Flat File Refinish 2: The Re-Painting

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Well it's time for some fresh paint on this old girl. This is what she looked like right after I refinished her the first time:

Between moving and general aging, there were some things that needed attending to.

As you can see here, there's been some real damage to the paint as well as the frame absorbing a bunch of the paint over time. It did NOT look like that when I was done.

I've started sanding everything down to the metal and repainting the same color. Regal Red. This time I plan to add some clear coats to finish it as well as some masking work on the sides of the base. Going for a "Christine" (1958 Plymouth Fury) thing, but we'll see. If anyone has ideas on how I can achieve this look, let me know! I was thinking that I'd mask off a "check mark" which I would paint white and mask the bare metal of the file to outline it but that seems rather ambitious.

I'll update this thread once I have some paint as well as some more progress pics. NOBODY should have a nasty gray flat file :)

:pint:
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Hard top in Antique White

Drawers still need a light sand and recoat for imperfections and then the whole thing is getting as many clear coats as I can stand.

piper27
Art Expert

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:03 pm

What kind of gun are you spraying them with? Looks great so far :pint:
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:32 am

:(

Rustolium?

I really wanted to do the whole HVLP thing and get car paint and flake but it was just so expensive, especially since I've never tried that before. Spray paint for now I guess. I did come up with a few extras like green LED's on the underside with a toggle switch for some "Christine Glow". Gonna try to get the housing for the switch like her license plate on the bottom drawer. Rainy this weekend so no progress. Mid-week should have some more pics. Need to fix a bunch of flaws on the drawers.

Image.
piper27
Art Expert

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Hey if you can paint good with a can without runs you'll be awesome once you move to a gun. I like the led under glow idea that's pretty sweet. Yeah I hear ya with automotive paint and flake being so expensive.
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:53 am

Still rainy so, more sanding and paint tomorrow. However, my LED's came in which I hooked up to a toggle switch spliced into an extension cord. These things are bright AF so I'm hoping to achieve the effect in the above post. LEDs will be affixed to the underside of the base with the toggle poking out of the "license plate" which I've painted yellow/orange. I'm going to try my best to do some hand letting to get the California plate CQB 241 as accurate as I can. I expect to screw this up numerous times. The LEDs have an IR sensor, but being as how there isn't room for the control box in front, I thought the best option would be to run a toggle alllllll the way to the back, wires under the bottom most drawer, so I can toggle on/off in the front. Plus toggle switches are so "car".

....and I just found this....

HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Welp, as expected, I cannot do neat and tidy hand-lettering ;)

Any talented hands browsing this thread?
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:17 pm

OK, so F spray paint. It just sucks.

A buddy has an air compressor and a HVLP gun so I'm going to strip the paint I already put on and start from scratch again. Bit of a pain, but I'd rather it look the way I intended.

Auto paint and clear coat is expensive, so expect a FS thread incoming. ;)
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:56 pm

HelloExactly wrote:Welp, as expected, I cannot do neat and tidy hand-lettering ;)

Any talented hands browsing this thread?
You probably want to get a vinyl decal cut for that...like what they use for lettering/graphics on commercial vehicles. If you get it in gloss it will look painted on. Should run you $25 or so.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Ended up getting transfer paper and a paint marker from Michael's. Turns out they ARE good for something. ;) It's not PERFECT but trust me, WAY better than me trying to freehand with brushes so, I'm happy with how it turned out. Celebrating with a studded leather mug full of IPA because, why not.

Rest of the project is on hold until I get auto paint. Should have it next week at some point and then back to business.

This is gonna look awesome.....I hope..

HelloExactly
Art Expert

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Soon.......