Crush Damaged Lithograph

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
TexasOffroad
New User

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 am

Mijares_Marina_12.0x15_web.jpg

I'm new here. I've read a lot of your message boards and think this is a good place to ask for advice.

I've purchased a large lithograph (35" x 46") at an online Goodwill auction in Ft. Lauderdale - SEE ATTACHED PHOTO - #19/125 signed, created from a 1954 oil on canvas by Jose Maria Mijares - Cuban (1921-2004) "Marina" - 31.5" x 49.5"

It has a serious crease/crush damage going right across the area where the viewer's eye focuses the most attention. Based on the photos they posted online, I didn't realize until the item got here, they had neglected to show good photos of the area of damage.

Before I pay $25 to send it back for a refund of my $85 purchase, I'd appreciate opinions from community members whether I should just keep it, send it back, or try to sell it.

My research originally made me think it might be worth $150 to $200 on eBay - simply because of it's wonderful color and huge size - and maybe worth more as relations with Cuba are resolved in the future. The original painting used for this print, sold at private auction for $5,000... and other prints from this artist, using this same model and size of artwork, sell in the $150 to $300 range at private auction.

My background is... I've worked in Prepress in Commercial Printing for over 35 years, and recently was laid off, so let's just call it an early retirement...

I have a sizeable collection of lithographs, serigraphs, collotypes, etc - plus paintings and other print material - and I understand how to use water and heat to press out minor fold marks and even some more serious creases and crushes... as long as the paper fibers haven't been broken too badly. But this is way beyond what I think can be salvaged...

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions - - do I keep it and take a loss, or send it back and take a smaller loss?

sidaldo
Art Expert

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:46 am

Condition is the most important thing when it comes to retaining the value of your print. I suggest to return it and get a full refund. Spend the excess money on a mint condition if you can. Moreover, the damage on this one is sort of taking away from the print so I wouldn't keep it even if I wanted to hang it. Poster mountain would charge you a lot more so no point getting it restored!
TexasOffroad
New User

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. Not much point in pretending. Sending it back.
I do very well on most purchases, so these things are going to happen.