custom flat file to store museum boxes

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:48 pm

I cobbled together some storage suggestions here and decided to construct a plywood flat file to house my growing stack of archival drop-front museum boxes. Originally I had decided to house my collection in museum boxes because of a lack of space for a conventional metal file. I kept my new wood file low-profile in order to slip under a bed where a metal file was too high.

I constructed the carcass and drawers out of two sheets of 1/2" pre-finished, kiln-dried European Maple plywood that's made with a California compliant Phenol formaldehyde. It was suggested by the supplier to stay away from urea formaldehyde for archival purposes. Using various cutting guides I cut out the parts of the carcass to within a tolerance of 1/32" to keep to right angles in assembly for smooth drawer operation. Using glue and hardwood biscuits I clamped together the carcass without using any metal fasteners. The drawer bottoms and sides were also glued and biscuited. Next I carefully aligned and installed the full extension metal drawer glides. Finally I applied some edge banding veneer and full-length aluminum drawer pulls which also serve to stiffen the front drawer edge.

Frankly this project was a lot of work and pricey as well. The two sheets of plywood were $240 ($120 each). The four pairs of drawer glides were $85. Four museum boxes totaled about $450. And of course all the time involved. A metal flat file might be a much better idea. However it's very convenient to be able to pull out and remove an individual box and take it to the dining room, for instance, and go through, pull out or sort your posters.

What we do for all this ink and pulp!?!
IMG_0476.JPG
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:33 am

great job on building a discrete storage solution. good way to go if you don't have the space for a standard flat file or don't want it to be a visible feature of your decor.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 am

really sharp idea! I have been thinking about something like this as an alternative to a metal flat file (for the same space reasons) and this is much smarter than anything I had so far come up with!

Can I ask where you get the museum boxes from?
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:09 am

hunterjax wrote:Can I ask where you get the museum boxes from?
Google solander box, although I think the OP might be using less expensive "archival drop-front museum boxes" which are made from heavy weight cardboard with reinforced metal edges as opposed to solanders which are linen or paper covered balsa wood.

B&H had a good deal but there was another Metal "something" that was cheaper (couldn't find the thread it was posted in)
other sources:
Gaylord
Archival Methods
Talas
Hollinger Metal Edge
Conservation Resources
University Products

Carr Mclean - For those in Canada
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:16 am

electrachrome wrote:
hunterjax wrote:Can I ask where you get the museum boxes from?
Google solander box, although I think the OP might be using less expensive "archival drop-front museum boxes" which are made from heavy weight cardboard with reinforced metal edges as opposed to solanders which are linen or paper covered balsa wood.

B&H had a good deal but there was another Metal "something" that was cheaper (couldn't find the thread it was posted in)
other sources:
Gaylord
Archival Methods
Talas
Hollinger Metal Edge
Conservation Resources
University Products

Carr Mclean - For those in Canada
awesome - thank you! will check out
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:53 pm

hunterjax wrote:
Can I ask where you get the museum boxes from?
I picked up my museum boxes online at Archival Methods ( http://www.archivalmethods.com) They also have the Solandar cases that electrochrome suggested but these are a lot pricier. Currently at Archival Methods it looks like they're offering a 15% discount on these boxes in particular. Glad to answer any other questions on this project.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 pm

electrachrome wrote:great job on building a discrete storage solution. good way to go if you don't have the space for a standard flat file or don't want it to be a visible feature of your decor.
Thanks electrachrome. To bad I've already outgrown my file and have to build another :hanging: