Shipping Large Canvases

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:09 am

Are there any cheap alternatives to crating, which will still allow for me to ship it stretched and have adequate protection?

Normally, I'd just tube it, but the buyer doesn't want it tubed and doesn't want to pay over a grand to have the crate built and have it sent freight.

I'm considering using some thick poly wrap encasing it in hard insulation styrofoam and then using some relatively thin plywood as the final layer. Kind of like a crate-lite.

Any suggestions appreciated.
inkedup
Art Expert

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:21 am

It doesn't seem like they're secure enough but I've had good luck with the FedEX art shipping boxes that suspend the art in the center of the box. Framing Devil has shipped me 2 large framed prints with glass in these boxes successfully as well.
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 am

Unfortunately, they don't stock boxes big enough.

I would just bring it to FedEx and have them do it, but I've seen their handiwork when I bring them something oversized. I could do a shitty job at home for less than half what they charge.
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 am

So, my personal philosophy on this is that the internal packaging is more important than what's on the outside. Maybe it's just my way of rationalizing my hatred of crating, but I've shipped large works internationally many times and (knock on wood) have done so successfully without crates.

My process:

1. I'm a huge fan of these boxes:
http://www.uline.com/BL_413/Large-Side-Loaders
They work great for medium/large canvases as-is and I've also cut them up and chunked them together into frankenboxes for jumbo sized canvases.

2. For a base layer, I put down some tissue paper over the canvas, then wrap it in craft paper like a cristmas present. Then I bubble wrap the drymount out of it.

3. Foam pipe insulation - available at Home Depot. This stuff is a foam tube slit down the side, designed to wrap around pipe. Wrap it around the edges of your canvas. Really helps minimize any impact damage to the corners from boxes being dropped.

4. Home Depot masonite - 8x4 foot sheets of this stuff are available at Home Depot for $8. Get 2 of them them cut to the size of your canvas and use them as a sandwich. Unless Fedex decides to impale your box with a forklift, your canvas is not getting punctured. Tape the hell out of this. Like make sure everything is completely locked in and not able to budge a millimeter.

By this stage, all you should be able to see is two sheets of masonite with a foam rubber bumper around the edges. Slide this into your frankenbox and fill with packing peanuts. You will have made an extremely ugly, heavy and probably larger than you wanted package, but it's bomb proof and it cost about $30 instead of $300 for a crate.

Insurance is on you - I usually trust my packing job and roll the dice, but I'm sure there are options out there. Fedex Freight is usually the most reasonable price for shipping these mega-boxes, but your mileage may vary (freight is usually it's own Fedex hub, at least in my area, so you may want to make sure you're going to the right location before loading up the box). There's no "cheap" way to do this, but you will certainly save a ton vs. dropping it off at craters and freighters or something.
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:53 am

Very helpful, Solar. Thank you.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:03 am

#ballerproblems

P.S. Dumping that internet khaki fudge already?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
shagdonk
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:08 am

Prolly the Curiot.