Flattening using non acid free board is it okay?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
labanog
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am

Hi was just wondering would it be okay to use non acid free board to flatten my prints from a tube? foam board or acid free boards are not readily available here in Asia. So i was planning to use the brown paper that comes with the print (kraft paper) and the onion skin type paper as protection and use illustration board to hold it down. Then add books or heavy stuff onto of the board to flatten it? maybe for a day or 2?

Does acid transfer right away and affect the print? or it will be very minimal and should be okay? noob regarding this any advice is much appreciated. thanks
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:10 am

Should be just fine. Most kraft papers also have acid in them but as long as it isn't a long-term situation, you should be good to go.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
labanog
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:17 am

ok cool thanks! do i need to put those corners when i put in the portfolio? I don't have a flat file so i need to store them in a those itoya evolution 18x24 albums. Would it be safe to put prints that are 18x24 w/ those transparent corners inside?

another question is can i also store 12x16 prints in side those 18x24 w/o any corners things? thanks a lot :)
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:22 am

No need to use corners in a portfolio.
labanog
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 am

ok cool! thanks again all :) will have a busy weekend transferring my prints from poster to their new home
FroDawg
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 am

Consider glassine (might be the onion-skin you're referencing) or acid-free tissue paper in between your prints. Both available at art supply stores (like Blick) and easy to work with.

If you have a flat file, great for storage. You can also get poly storage bags with acid-free boards that match at bags, unlimited. Another great storage option if you want to stand them up. Happy to provide more info if you're interested.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
elduderino619
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I've been tempted to get the poly bags, are they good for long term storage? Right now I have a make shift flat file using glassine to separate prints but I prefer to use sleeves.
jtravisa
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:38 am

I have the large Picturesque binder (24X36) and I noticed that the metallic ink on some of the prints are rubbing off while being stored in there.I believe the weight of all the prints in there is becoming an issue as well. In one case I can see that the metallic ink has left an imprint in the clear plastic in the sleeve after you remove the print from the sleeve.... So I'm looking for a better solution for prints that are more valuable or have a lot of metallic ink. I'm thinking about getting Mylar bags with backings, just had a couple of questions.

1) The Mylar bags that Bags Unlimited carries are "No Flap" right? Just thought it was odd if that's correct, seems strange to spend all that money to by a film that gas can't penetrate and then have no flap so that gas, oxygen, etc. could just come in the top where there is no flap.

2)I should also buy acid free backing with the sleeves correct? Besides being acid free (and of course the correct size) is there anything else I need to be looking for in terms of specifications? Is bags unlimited the best option for the backings as well?

Thank you!