Ikea Hack Coffee Table flat file

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Jacknick
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Folks.
I need a new coffee table for my basement TV room and figured it would be good to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a coffee table with some flat file draws. Currently, I keep all of my unframed posters between 2 pieces of cardboard in a spare bedroom. It's been really difficult to find a table/file thats the appropriate size for 24x36 prints, especially at a reasonable price.

After a bit of research, I think I've decided to get the Hemnes Coffee table from Ikea and use this as a base for a new build. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30176286/

I opted for this because despite the fact that it's from Ikea, it's actually a really nice table that's built from solid wood (not the usual MDF) The design is sort of a blend between contemporary and traditional so I think it'll work in most spaces should the time come that I move. It's available in 3 colours including a white stain which works for me. As a result, it's a bit pricier than some other like examples from the same store but hell, it's still only 150bucks. That compares favourably with some of the nicer coffee table files I've found available online which are often in excess of $1000 before shipping. The rack under the table could accommodate a print of approximately 38x26 so from a sizing perspective, this is a near perfect base with which to work with.

My plan is to build two draws that are approximately two inches deep and position them below the table top so as to maintain as much as possible of the overall design of the table. IE. I want to keep as significant a gap as possible between the lowest draw and the magazine rack at the bottom of the table. Best case scenario, I'll find some scraps of the table in the handyman corner at the store that I can cut up to make the outside panels of the draws. Worst case, I'll buy a second table and recycle the top so that it all matches. If I'm more adventurous, I'll buy some supplies and paint to match or repaint the whole table once finished.

I think this is going to be a very simple build but before I embark on a visit to Ikea to pick up the supplies, I just wanted to leave it here incase anyone had any suggestions or thoughts.

Wish me luck!
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:40 pm

There was a really awesome thread for this a while back, with a step-by-step and some great pics. I'll see if I can dig it up, though it might have been deleted by now.

Good luck with your project! :cheers:
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
MillerTime04
Art Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm

There's a whole website devoted to ikea hacks. Not sure if flat file construction is there or not but I'm sure it can and probably should be submitted if there's not.
Art comes alive in the arguments you have about it
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Here is the page I saw posted previously:

http://jonathanfongstyle.com/flat-file- ... ikea-hack/

Not a coffetable, obviously. :oops:
But still pretty drymounting cool. I've been meaning to make one, so thanks for reminding me!
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
Jacknick
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:Here is the page I saw posted previously:

http://jonathanfongstyle.com/flat-file- ... ikea-hack/

Not a coffetable, obviously. :oops:
But still pretty drymounting cool. I've been meaning to make one, so thanks for reminding me!
Yeah thanks for posting that. It's a useful build to show people in this thread as an alternative to doing a coffee table file. I actually saw that during my online research - pretty neat.
Jacknick
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:12 pm

MillerTime04 wrote:There's a whole website devoted to ikea hacks. Not sure if flat file construction is there or not but I'm sure it can and probably should be submitted if there's not.
Yeah for sure. If it's not fudge then I'm sure someone will post it there :)