Flat File Refinish #2

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 3:53 pm

"Project Christine"

So OK, wow. It's about time I finally got around to doing this project again. Last time I didn't know what I was doing and got a file that held a max of 24 x 36 and used spray paint. It still came out great but I knew I wanted something bigger for over-sized prints and I wanted to do it right.

Luckily in the Flat File thread somebody found this lil guy on eBay in NJ for $55 bucks. (Thanks SixStringer) Fits 36" X 48" paper so, that's a nice upgrade. Plus I never had a stand! Should be picking this up a bit later in the week.
ImageImageImage

So why "Project Christine"? Because I want to go bananas on this and turn this flat file into as much of a badass 1958 Plymouth Fury as I can. I want to use auto paint and achieve that two tone Christine look:

So I'm thinking obvs white top, red body and drawers. Tons of clear coat. Chrome trim with silver "hockey stick" panels on the sides. Does anybody know what that body and door trim is made out of? Some people cheat and paint theirs but on an OG '58 it's like a thin metal sheeting. Here's a great close up shot from the movie: Image

I even think I may have found one of these for the front although it looks WAY too big for what I want to use it for:

I would go with custom versions of these handles to achieve the "grill" effect. I would want this but elongated so I'd only need one pull per drawer:

I also want to somehow integrate a '58's instrument cluster, but I'm not sure how just yet. It's got some depth to it so I was thinking maybe in the stand. I'd eventually like to wire it up to a toggle witch on the rear so I could get that creepy Christine glow whenever I'd like. Whether or not it makes it into the file, I think I want this anyway.

I'm in need of some tools to get this all started so if you have a 20-30 gallon air compressor and or a decent HVLP gun kit hit me up! Also if you know ANYTHING at all about that metal door trim PLEASE get in touch!! I need all the help I can get on this so if you have ideas and suggestions, let me know!!
sixstringer
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Congrats! This looks like a kick ass project. Keep us posted with lots of pics!
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Ha thanks! And thanks for the head up on that file. How do you beat $55 bucks?! I don't even have room for it but I had to jump at that price. This project is quite ambitious for me so if anyone is local NYC ans wants to help, lemme know! I will take as many pix as possible, I just need to start scraping Craigslist for spray guns and compressors. I would respray my current file and trade for equipment if that helps :)