What's the best way to store posters?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Flash
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:50 pm

I've decided to get serious about my poster collection and have always had them stored flat, in a pile, between some heavy cardboard. How do most of you store them without spending a ton of money? Thanks for the input.
dougr
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:27 pm

heya Flash, and welcome! :)

a lot of people here use the method described in the Education > Storing Prints with Mylar section above.

i just bought some Itoya portfolios. i highly recommend them. they are much less expensive than the mylar/board method (48 views for $30 or so for the largest size) and i like to store them one place, and bring them someplace else to "show 'em off" ;) thin plastic sleeves,, thin acid-free backing paper, thick plastic cover. add some mylar corners for mounting (they are inexpensive) and you're all set.
http://www.artsupply.com/portfolio/itoyaartcare.htm

some like to use flat files.

of course framing works well too ;)
Last edited by dougr on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:29 pm

Ditch the cardboard unless you leaf the prints bewtween some acid-free paper and then put them back between the sheets. You could get an acid-free storage box, mylar sleeves, etc. It's really up to you and how safe you want them. There's some good storage information here

http://www.expressobeans.com/howto/storage/

and here

http://www.classicposters.com/eposter/s ... 2E66C0AA77

Search some of the other threads too as well as your local art and craft shop.

Good luck.
Bacon is love.
Flash
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks Doug and marsh. I now have some reading to do.
peace
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:47 pm

If most of your stuff will fit in them, I love the Itoya portfolios as well. Have 6 of them at the moment (2 @ 18x24, 1 @ 14x17, 1 @ 11x17, 2 @ 8x10) and they work great for a lot of my stuff. Of course, I also have larger things than the 18x24s so I have some poly and mylar bags for those larger pieces. The reading and info that Doug and Chip (marshy) have suggested is excellent - hopefully you can find something that will work for you...
Tra la la la la...
dtak
Art Enthusiast

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Flash aaaaaaahaaaaaaaahh he'll save every one of us!
Some folks think, that their role in life, is to fail at everything they try
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:45 am

The best thing, particularly if you have tall ceilings, is one of those rotating dry cleaner racks---just press a button, and it brings it over to you...........P.[/img]
telafree

Mon May 16, 2005 7:39 pm

so up until now, i thought storing in the original tube was ok. I am VERY broke and am curious about a good way to store posters if you cant afford to buy anything new.

:)
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon May 16, 2005 10:48 pm

Honestly, even if you have no cash you can have a very simple flattening system in place. The hardest thing for me consistently is actually having the floor space to do so.

If you take a piece of flat, sturdy material (I use 1/4" tempered masonite because I can just use scrap from work - some I know use a sheet of glass or other materials), put a buffer over it (a piece of acid-free paper is ideal), and then layer your prints down - print, paper buffer, print, paper buffer, etc. Top off the stack with a second piece of flat material and weight it down. You've got a simple flat storage system. Just be watchful and mindful of the possibility of exposed edges or corners and be sure that your flat material is larger than your largest stacked print (normally 24x36 but could be larger).
Tra la la la la...
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 17, 2005 3:00 am

cushway wrote:The best thing, particularly if you have tall ceilings, is one of those rotating dry cleaner racks---just press a button, and it brings it over to you...........P.[/img]
Damn, that's genius!!
I'd want the Monsters Inc. Door Warehouse upgrade though too!
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?