PLEASE help (picturesque storage, etc) I'm desperate

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
a2themonster

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:19 am

Thank you in advance for reading..I'm new and I apologize because I'm sure its been posted but I just couldn't locate it..

Long story short: I'm new to collecting, purchased a picturesque 24x36 with varying size sleeves to store my art..I had read somewhere that you should use mounting strips to attach (non-adhesive on the print of course) the art to the black paper… I purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Through-Ar ... ing+strips

I was also putting art on both sides of the sleeve (which I was told was good as well)…

Now the purchased strips above aren't see-thru, there is I guess what can be best described as a bandaid color strip above where the strip is…this isn't the greatest looking thing as its bandaid color on black background paper on art..so I went ahead and purchased clear, 10 inch strips from archival methods that are truly clear and the adhesive is underneath the art and invisible…this is where I run into my problem…

The lineco adhesive was supposed to come right off…however it isn't and its basically peeling/ripping the black archival paper that the art is on…making it useless as its still somewhat sticky and appearance-wise its screwed up royally..

So now applying the clear ones Im running (or fear I will) run into the same problem if/when I need to remove the strips as after just using them on two pieces I can already tell its going to peel the black paper…

So based on this I ask the following: what should I do about the black archival paper; can I buy replacement ones for the sheets I have bcz THEY ARE NOT CHEAP…its expensive (for me) and I can't afford to just throw away the ten sheets I have because I don't like the bandaid color of the first adhesive… Do i even need framing strips or corners when using these portfolios (the art isn't entirely flat, can/will it/won't it move around?, etc).. What should I do about the pieces I already have that I want to use the clear strips on but don't want to ruin the black filler paper? and good god is there ANY easier way to attach two pieces of art using the strips to that black paper and then trying to slide it into the sleeve without it CONSTANTLY getting caught on the strips, etc?

If you made it this far I THANK YOU DEARLY…seriously…this has become very frustrating and I'd truly love and appreciate the advice…again thanks!
Cragars
Art Expert

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 am

You try a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive?

Anyways, you don't need any sort of mounting strips or photocorners. Just slide the prints in there and lay it flat under a bed or against a wall, handle up, behind some furniture. If laying flat, the weight of the other prints and cover will flatten it all out. There's a fair amount of static cling as well inside the pages so most of my smaller prints don't slide if I'm turning to another page.

Storage doesn't need to look pretty. If you want that, frame the art.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:21 am

I have the same portfolio and just slide the fudge in there and don't worry about it. Never had an issue with it sliding around too much.
ImageT.K.C.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:48 am

You don't need mounting strips. And yes, you're fine with storing prints on both sides of the black paper.
a2themonster

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Ty all for your help it means a lot as this was driving me nuts!
allbloody
Art Expert

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:26 pm

bryndavies wrote:I have the same portfolio and just slide the fudge in there and don't worry about it. Never had an issue with it sliding around too much.

this.