Flattening Prints - Advice Sought

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
DexterRutecki

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a flat file but it will be a few weeks before that is in hand. I have began to flat some previously tubed prints by using some methods espoused here - taking out of tube to breath than using weights, then place in temporary foam core structure with weight upon - and I have been somewhat successful but the prints haven't gotten completely flat and there is some residual curl.

Does anyone have any history - success or failure - with a De-Roller?
I've seen one for about $200 and if it works well and is that much of a time saver, will be well worth it.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
nocomply
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:29 am

If you're planning on long storage in your flat file, one option is to just leave your prints weighted in the flat file and let time take out the residual curl.

Never heard of the De-Roller, but it looks like you can accomplish the same thing by reverse-rolling your prints. Or maybe make your own by taping kraft paper to a tube.
golobulus
Art Expert

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:33 am

I've heard to stay away from reverse rolling silk screened prints as it may crack or cause flaking in the ink... not worth it. Reverse rolling is more for photographs or lithos from what I understand. I would put the prints in your flat file and cover them with mat boards or foam core... they will flatten out eventually. The stuff in my flat file is dead flat now.
Baker
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am

golobulus wrote:I've heard to stay away from reverse rolling silk screened prints as it may crack or cause flaking in the ink... not worth it. Reverse rolling is more for photographs or lithos from what I understand.
If you have them mostly flat just put them in the file evenly with foamcore on top and some light weight. They will flatten out in time.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 am

Unless you are going to frame one that is not flat, let weight and time take care of it. It might take a few months but most will flatten out nicely
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
jpfondu
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 am

I agree with these guys. As soon as I get a print I take it out of the tube and stick it in an acid-free sleeve, then into the flat file. They soon flatten out.

If it's been in a tube for a long time I'll stick it in a sleeve then add some light books as weight (2-3 days). Once it's relatively flat, I fire it in the flat file.
summoner
Art Freak

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:47 am

Relative humidity can have a big effect on prints flattening as well. If you live in a dry climate, or if your house if dry in the winter, get a small humidifier and put it in the room with your prints, and pick up a hygrometer to see what the humidity level is. Keeping the room at around 40% humidity will greatly help the prints flatten.
Image Image Image
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:05 pm

summoner wrote:Relative humidity can have a big effect on prints flattening as well. If you live in a dry climate, or if your house if dry in the winter, get a small humidifier and put it in the room with your prints, and pick up a hygrometer to see what the humidity level is. Keeping the room at around 40% humidity will greatly help the prints flatten.
Yeah, this. I live in Jackson, MS, right by a creek. I have a 50 pint dehumidifier running constantly just to keep the humidity in my apartment below 50%. But if I turn in off, humidity goes up to about 65%. I can flatten any print in just about 3 hours when the humidity is north of 60%
readicculus86
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:08 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
summoner wrote:Relative humidity can have a big effect on prints flattening as well. If you live in a dry climate, or if your house if dry in the winter, get a small humidifier and put it in the room with your prints, and pick up a hygrometer to see what the humidity level is. Keeping the room at around 40% humidity will greatly help the prints flatten.
Yeah, this. I live in Jackson, MS, right by a creek. I have a 50 pint dehumidifier running constantly just to keep the humidity in my apartment below 50%. But if I turn in off, humidity goes up to about 65%. I can flatten any print in just about 3 hours when the humidity is north of 60%
Do the inks not start to run with such high humidity tho?
summoner
Art Freak

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:10 pm

readicculus86 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
Inks running? I would not think so... But you can certainly feel the humidity in the paper (it just feels softer and more pliable) if the humidity is too high.
Image Image Image
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

summoner wrote:
readicculus86 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
Inks running? I would not think so... But you can certainly feel the humidity in the paper (it just feels softer and more pliable) if the humidity is too high.
True. I don't like having the humidity that high, makes the paper easy to crease, you have to be super careful, especially with pieces on thinner paper like Ansins and certain Stouts. But if you are having trouble flattening a print, it will do the trick.

I have flattened a ton of prints since moving into this apartment 9 months ago. I have never once seen inks run on any print. Honestly it has not even crossed my mind as a concern and I have never observed any problem like this.

Also, putting the prints in a portfolio, and not in the open air, seems to insulate prints from some of the humidity. Once they are in sleeves that don't seem to absorb as much water.
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 pm

I've always stored my prints in an acid free foam core sandwich until I recently got a flat file. The thing that I get most anxious about is the unrolling process just out of the tube before the weights get placed on it. Typically, I'll place a couple light weights on one end to hold it down and then unroll it until it's flat and then place the weights on the other end. It's worked, although it seems kinda sketchy to me with the different print types and papers. I always feel I'm on the verge of really screwing something up. Does anyone have a suggestion on a safe way of getting a print unrolled directly out of the tube?
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:34 pm

theghost206 wrote:I've always stored my prints in an acid free foam core sandwich until I recently got a flat file. The thing that I get most anxious about is the unrolling process just out of the tube before the weights get placed on it. Typically, I'll place a couple light weights on one end to hold it down and then unroll it until it's flat and then place the weights on the other end. It's worked, although it seems kinda sketchy to me with the different print types and papers. I always feel I'm on the verge of really screwing something up. Does anyone have a suggestion on a safe way of getting a print unrolled directly out of the tube?
For thicker papers or things that have been rolled really tightly, I will usually let it rest for a day or two out of the tube before I attempt to flatten it. This lets the paper relax a bit.