de-acidifying a print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:52 pm

I have an old print that was done on brown USPS paper. I'm sure this type of low quality paper is acidic and would like to de-acidify the print. Does anyone have a suggestion for a product I should use??
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
peacedog
Art Expert

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm

We use to use Archival Mist on newspaper documents many years ago at the old shop I worked at. We had mixed results, as I recall it left a visible residue, but you might be alright using only on the back of the print. We stopped using it, just didn't see a benefit of the spray over none given you still are effecting the piece.

Here's a write up on Bookkeeper Deacidification Spray that is very in depth, lots of chemistry level stuff here. I recommend checking out the whole article, but the conclusion tells you most of what you need to know.

http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic ... 15-17.html

"Conclusion:

This work focused on the working characteristics and purported benefit of Bookkeeper® used in individual spray application. Papers treated with Bookkeeper® showed observable color changes after aging, and some changes in the paper character. An excess of magnesium oxide is easily deposited with hand-held sprayers, and an even deposition is difficult to achieve. The magnesium-containing particles leave a noticeable whitish haze on the paper that can be visually distracting. In one-sided spray application, the pH of the paper can be expected to be higher on the treated side than on the untreated side. Color shifts during artificial aging indicate that at least some types of paper treated with Bookkeeper® experience a whiteness reduction greater than that occurring in untreated papers. This may not be the only magnesium-based non-aqueous deacidificant that produces such an effect.

Additional (long-term) experiments will have to be conducted before further conclusions can be drawn on the effects of Bookkeeper® (and other non-aqueous) deacidification agents in the treatment of individual artifacts. For now, however, it remains to be emphasized that the spray application of Bookkeeper® still poses unresolved questions that inspire caution."

In my professional opinion, I'd leave it be and except that it's going to change color over time. If it's precious to you, get it stabilized under glass and away from hands bending it and whatnot and enjoy it while you can. In my experience the brittleness is you biggest enemy, if it's not being handled and remains flat, you're doing to best you can to keep it from falling apart.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks, peacedog. It is living in an itoya and I suppose it is brown so I won't see yellowing. Its a cool piece though IMO and I want to make sure it doesn't fall apart.

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
summoner
Art Freak

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Showoff... :hanging:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Image Image Image