How do people store their art IN the flat file?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm just wonder what people use to store their art once it's in the flat file? What do you use to seperate the prints? Biggest print on the bottom? I've read about the Mylar sleeves but they seem so expensive. Is there an alternative? Thanks.
BavarianErin
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Bags...all day. And a piece of foam core on the bottom.
ImageImage
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:01 pm

I'd use bags if I had like 10 or 20 prints. But I have over 300; a sheet of glassine paper in between each print works perfectly for me.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:04 pm

I use the Frame Destination bags as well. I've accumulated an assortment of sizes over the years (30 x 40, 24 x 36, 20 x 30 and the 13 x 38) so that I have a decent fit for most print sizes (you can also trim them with a pair of scissors for special cases). For expensive prints, I will use a larger bag and cut out a backing board so that the print has some support and additional protection. I also have my drawers roughly sorted by size - 18x24 and below are in a drawer with two stacks side by side, while larger sizes are in separate drawers in a single stack.

If you go the bag route, definitely consider buying the bulk backs at FD - the cost per bag is WAY cheaper than the 10 packs.
T.H.C.
maden
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:06 pm

I have used these before and personally I hate them. Really flimsy and slippery. They cost a lot less and it shows. For me things of value go into sleeves from Bags Unlimited or Atlantic Protective Pouches. Glassine for other stuff.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

o4phish20o
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:I'd use bags if I had like 10 or 20 prints. But I have over 300; a sheet of glassine paper in between each print works perfectly for me.
I have anything valued over $1k in a mylar sleeve with acid free backboard.
Anything 18x24 or smaller, I keep inside an Itoya portfolio, which I have about 10 of, inside the drawers.
And the rest of my oversized but not as valuable prints, I just stack with a layer of kraft paper in between each.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

I use the bags but don't peel off the sticky part to seal them. Do people do this or no? It creates a bump when you stack them so when you have like 8 on top of each other it becomes a problem.
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:22 pm

63schoeffling wrote:I use the bags but don't peel off the sticky part to seal them. Do people do this or no? It creates a bump when you stack them so when you have like 8 on top of each other it becomes a problem.
The bags I have don't have sticky parts... woooh, that'd freak me out.
Why would it even have that? To keep dust out?

This is what I use... https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3028-po ... -flap.aspx
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 pm

i would use glassine if i had a flat file, which i don't :cheers:
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm

o4phish20o wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:I use the bags but don't peel off the sticky part to seal them. Do people do this or no? It creates a bump when you stack them so when you have like 8 on top of each other it becomes a problem.

Well it's like a thin strip that when you peel back you can fold the back end (which extends like 3 more inches above the actual bag) over and seal the print up. It's not a problem since there is enough room, but like I said it can get uneven as hell if you have them stacked.
Baker
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:52 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
o4phish20o wrote:

Well it's like a thin strip that when you peel back you can fold the back end (which extends like 3 more inches above the actual bag) over and seal the print up. It's not a problem since there is enough room, but like I said it can get uneven as hell if you have them stacked.
When I have used those bags and sealed them I always cut a tiny slit in the bottom of the bag so air can escape, and then stack them back and forth so you dont end up with like you said, a big bump. All my good stuck though is in Mylar if it's not in a frame.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:28 pm

How do you remove a print from a bag that you sealed though?
Do you have to cut the bag? Or do you unstick the flap part, and pull the print out ever so carefully, so that none of the paper touches the sticky surface. Is the flap mainly for dust purpose?

Id be so paranoid getting the print back out.
natepachl
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Anything of value...Mylar and backer board. The rest, stacked up with glassine between each other. Want to start bagging
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:58 pm

o4phish20o wrote:How do you remove a print from a bag that you sealed though?
Do you have to cut the bag? Or do you unstick the flap part, and pull the print out ever so carefully, so that none of the paper touches the sticky surface. Is the flap mainly for dust purpose?

Id be so paranoid getting the print back out.
No it's resealable. You can just peel it on and off... It doesn't like bond so then you would have to tear it open, that would be terrible.