Anyone Interested In Custom Painted Flat Files?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 am

Hey EB!

A few years ago I decided to grab an old flat file off of Craigslist and refinish it. It was a fun project and came out great! After a couple of moves I could stand to touch her up a a bit from the nicks and chips that have occured. Unfortunately, living in Brooklyn I don't have any space to work on this kind of a project so I'd need to rent a small space to do the work. It wouldn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money for just my file alone so with that said, would anyone be interested in a refinished flat file for themselves? You'd just need to pick it up when it's ready.

These things are super heavy so I guess this would be for NYC area locals unless you'd want to pay frieght. I suppose about 4 or 5 people would need to be interested for this to make sense. If you are, shoot me a PM. I need a bigger file so I want to touch this red one up and do a new bigger one for myself to store oversized prints. I'd like to use auto paint and clear coat the whole thing on the new one.

Talk to some of you soon hopefully!

Here's a before so you can see the kind of condition it was in.

...and after.

maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 am

what are you thinking costs might be? the red one looks great
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:59 am

Thanks! I love her to death! Just need something a tad bigger these days.

I'm going to look more into exactly what it would be, I really just wanted to gauge interest first. I would estimate a final price of $900 just to play it safe. That would be everything including the cost of the flat file, paint etc. based on a 5 drawer 24 x 36 max file. Not bad considering what these cost new and ugly grey. If enough people want one I'm totally down to get started on this. What do you think?
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Bump?
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Is yours on castors?
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Actually no, I was going to but never got around to it. If this project works out I'll throw some on before selling. Doesn't seem like many people are into it though. Foiled again.