Is my art safe stored like this?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 am

I can't remember where I got this information but I've been storing my art prints and gig posters in a clam shell made out of two pieces of acid free foam core. I then separated them with glassine paper. Good to go or should I do something else?
Cragars
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:44 am

Sounds fine but might as well save for a flat file for when your collection inevitably outgrows the current method.
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:46 am

Cragars wrote:Sounds fine but might as well save for a flat file for when your collection inevitably outgrows the current method.
Have been looking on Craigslist for a flat file but am a little surprised at the cost. It will happen eventually. What do most people use to separate the prints in a flat file?
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:00 am

theghost206 wrote:
Cragars wrote:Sounds fine but might as well save for a flat file for when your collection inevitably outgrows the current method.
Have been looking on Craigslist for a flat file but am a little surprised at the cost. It will happen eventually. What do most people use to separate the prints in a flat file?
I use glassine sheets. A lot of people use bags for their prints. To each his own.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 am

Yeah, it all works...only other things to check are to make sure the foamcore is bigger than your prints to avoid edge damage, and that humidity isn't crazy wherever it's being stored. Otherwise it's a cost-effective storage solution until the collection gets too big.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ceevee
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:37 am

theghost206 wrote:I've been storing my art prints and gig posters in a clam shell made out of two pieces of acid free foam core. I then separated them with glassine paper.
I've done exactly this for items that are too long for my file. Works fine - just be carefully moving the sandwich in and out of wherever it is stored and don't turn on its side.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:07 am

I've been able to store it on its side with no worries so long as 1) it's sitting flush against a wall, 2) the foamcore is bigger than the prints, 3) the stack isn't super huge, and 4) used gator clips on all sides.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:56 am

jkw3000 wrote:I've been able to store it on its side with no worries so long as 1) it's sitting flush against a wall, 2) the foamcore is bigger than the prints, 3) the stack isn't super huge, and 4) used gator clips on all sides.
Yup. I used to store mine vertically behind my headboard. All good.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Bags are key. Your asking for trouble stacking them loose and with glassine.
mlwells04
Art Expert

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:20 am

theghost206 wrote:I can't remember where I got this information but I've been storing my art prints and gig posters in a clam shell made out of two pieces of acid free foam core. I then separated them with glassine paper. Good to go or should I do something else?
I have been to a few artists studios and they always make sure that smaller prints are not stored under larger ones, especially if there are a few in the stack. If the larger prints are being squeezed and there are smaller prints between them and the other surface you could get an impression in the larger pieces.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:36 am

mlwells04 wrote:
theghost206 wrote:I can't remember where I got this information but I've been storing my art prints and gig posters in a clam shell made out of two pieces of acid free foam core. I then separated them with glassine paper. Good to go or should I do something else?
I have been to a few artists studios and they always make sure that smaller prints are not stored under larger ones, especially if there are a few in the stack. If the larger prints are being squeezed and there are smaller prints between them and the other surface you could get an impression in the larger pieces.
That and managing them is just cumbersome. They are not still in a file or cabinet if you know what I mean. Invest in a portfolio or a flatfile if you wanna play this game long enough.
nocomply
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 pm

It doesn't hurt (well maybe wallet-wise) to get mylar sleeves. Adds a little rigidity and protection.
aEinstein
New User

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Stored my prints in an acid free board sandwich for years and all was fine, just separate them with paper and you're good. Eventually try and find a flatfile.
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:19 am

Okay...it looks like I have a nice lead on a good looking flat file for $300. The dimensions weren't listed but I sent an email asking for them. What would be a suitable flat file size that would fit most prints?

Someone mentioned not storing smaller prints under bigger ones which totally makes sense. What system should I use in the flat file? Glassine separating the prints with the largest on the bottom? Something else? Those Mylar sleeves sure look expensive. Thanks for the input.
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:22 am

theghost206 wrote:Okay...it looks like I have a nice lead on a good looking flat file for $300. The dimensions weren't listed but I sent an email asking for them. What would be a suitable flat file size that would fit most prints?

Someone mentioned not storing smaller prints under bigger ones which totally makes sense. What system should I use inside the flat file? Glassine separating the prints with the largest on the bottom? Something else? Those Mylar sleeves sure look expensive. Thanks for the input.
36" X 27" X 1.5" deep.