framing my stouts

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

hi guys got some good stouts that I absolutely cherish...but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to them also...

I have KB Variant, Star wars ESB Reg, Star wars ROFJ Reg, SOTD, Avengers. They are all currently in cheap maxi frames...but I've been seeing and reading stuff about mats leaving marks on them after a while is this true?

As my plan to frame them is because that's where they will be staying for a looooooong time as I won't be selling but I still want to know that they will leave the frame in the exact condition i put them in, Wondering whether to just get decent frames with no mats and some barrier board and ph7 tape to seal up the back for piece of mind.

But I wanted mats but don't want to damage the prints in the slightest.

SUPER OCD lol
soam24
Art Freak

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:33 pm

tankpig wrote: I have KB Variant, Star wars ESB Reg, Star wars ROFJ Reg, SOTD, Avengers. They are all currently in cheap maxi frames...but I've been seeing and reading stuff about mats leaving marks on them after a while is this true?

Yes marks may be left on the print in the following cases.

Cheap glass allowing the UV rays on the light over time will lighten the print once you take the matting off of the print, there will be a 1/8" (or however deep) border that would be a shade darker due to lack of exposure of light.

Use UV glass when / where you can, try to avoid direct sunlight, and use acid free matting.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:40 pm

AlphaRag mat, 100% cotton/inert.
UV Plexi/Museum glass
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:18 pm

So using acid free matting and UV plexi 3mm IT would be fine?

I don't let any light get to them as is besides my light in the room which is very far away from them even now I think I'm
Gonna avoid having the light on!

Just wanna get them framed and sealed up to out my mind at rest lol,

As mentioned tempted to just buy a few descents frames with no mats but then still use 3mm uv plexi, thoughts?

Also thanks for both replies btw :-)
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 pm

If ur worried at all about UV go Museum Glass or Optium Museum Plexi. Cubbiephan can back up that he(or someone he knows) had "UV plexi" and had fading on a print. Plus Museum looks sooooo much better than plexi.
shidarin
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:02 pm

dasponyboy wrote:If ur worried at all about UV go Museum Glass or Optium Museum Plexi. Cubbiephan can back up that he(or someone he knows) had "UV plexi" and had fading on a print. Plus Museum looks sooooo much better than plexi.
:/ Does museum plexi really look that much better than OP-3 P-99 (Uv + anti glare)? The difference in cost is seems to be more than double the price.

In particular, I've heard that OP-3 P-99 plexi doesn't look 'clear' unless the print is right against the glass- if you don't get the anti-reflection is normal OP-3 pretty clear?

Sigh. It's a lot of money to spend on glass. Anyone got a cheap place to source it?

webpictureframes.com is the only place I've seen it at, and it is not cheap.

$ 239.93 for 24x36
$ 288.81 for 28x40

I haven't gotten custom framing before, and was looking to do it all myself- are those prices about right or at a significant markup?
Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Bulbs emit UV, CFL's even more so. Plexi looks better the closer it's mounted to the print, so maybe limit it to one mat if you use it.

UV glass or plexi, a cotton mat to be safe (no wood pulp), and if you really want to go all in, LED lights in the room which emit the least amount of UV light. No drymounting/speedmounting. Photo corners or acid free tape, even better, wheat paste.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=127256

Also, do yourself a favor and back search everything that FramerDave posts. That guy is full of useful info. If you get more advanced and want to try wheat paste, there is a tutorial around here somewhere from CHR1S.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

tankpig wrote:So using acid free matting and UV plexi 3mm IT would be fine?

I don't let any light get to them as is besides my light in the room which is very far away from them even now I think I'm
Gonna avoid having the light on!

Just wanna get them framed and sealed up to out my mind at rest lol,

As mentioned tempted to just buy a few descents frames with no mats but then still use 3mm uv plexi, thoughts?

Also thanks for both replies btw :-)
If you're worried about the light in your room damaging your prints, just go out and buy an LED light bulb. Emits no UV light. Saves some money too in the long run. I've got about $300 worth of LED bulbs in my basement where all my prints are hung.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 am

KSUvet wrote:http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=127256

Also, do yourself a favor and back search everything that FramerDave posts. That guy is full of useful info. If you get more advanced and want to try wheat paste, there is a tutorial around here somewhere from CHR1S.
My ears were tingling. I hope you don't mind my plugging the following tutorial/informational threads:

Floating A Print
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... ng+a+print

And a couple videos

How To Hinge with Wheat Paste
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=145967

And Removing a Wheatpaste Hinge
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=142393
bootstrut
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Don't be so afraid of light hitting your prints. How else are you going to appreciate them? But if that still scares you, go LED.

As for matting, go for 100% cotton rag mats. If you're concerned about conditional issues long term, mat your prints and avoid spacers. I just opened up a frame the other day that I used spacers on and the print had faint lines from the spacers along the borders. You won't have that issue with a properly matted print.